Teal Taffeta Cocktail Dress

I started with this Michael Kors Strapless Peplum dress. I love it. Josh isn’t a MK fan but it turns out I am with some of his designs. (Just an aside, yes, I did just say that my husband has an opinion about a big name fashion designer. Swoon.)

The peplum flounce is actually a detachable belt, so you can have it or take it off and have a mainstay strapless dress. I also saw other peplum dresses that had the flounce attached to the bodice and the skirt was separate. Of course, there are versions of this dress where everything is one dress, no detachable nothings to stand in your way.

The website I got this picture from says that the material used for the dress is a wool/polamide. That’s where you’re getting the easy drape on the flounce.

I wanted to make my own version of this and I wanted to use my teal taffeta. I used it for one of my Comic Con costumes and it did what I wanted. It’s that kind of fabric. I’m glad I have a roll of it because I can just whip this kind of project up and I’m not afraid of cutting into the only yard or two I purchased.

I went into my pattern stash and pulled out McCalls 5807. I knew I could use the bodice of this wedding dress.

I searched my pattern stash and found this dress pattern that I knew I had been wanting to try to use, so I figured why not try this skirt out first. It’s Vogue 8727

SEWING TIP: Before cutting out my fabric (I thought I’d live on the wild side and cut directly into my fashion fabric), I checked the final measurements printed on the pattern pieces. It’s handy to check these because they inform a lot about the end result. Some patterns give a lot of ease and you should know that before you begin so you don’t think you did something wrong sewing it together.

So far I have the bodice done, zipper in, lined, but I still need to finish the raw edges with bias tape. I also have the shell of the skirt with a zipper, to check fit. I’m impressed with my ability to eyeball the alteration on the back of the skirt. I don’t have much in the trunk and always have to take some of the length out so that the back of the skirt doesn’t sag. I managed to tuck in the pattern at the alteration lines without measuring and it came out perfect.

Here are some mirror shots to show you this WIP. Some of the pictures were taken last night by my dear musician husband. I was having fun adding some of my Victorian skirts to see how they would work with the new bodice. One picture in particular makes me look like I have no torso. Just don’t laugh too loud.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s