Wonder Woman Dress

I saw the Veronica Dress in Navy with Red Heart on PUG a couple of weeks ago and my first reaction was that I loved the color combination. I love the pencil skirt on the dress and I love the heart shaped bodice. I fell out of love with the heart in the center of the bodice but I still wanted to play with the color combination.

I put this idea in the dress making machine I installed in my brain and let it hang for a while. In the meantime, my copy of Gertie’s New Book for Better Sewing arrived. What an awesome book! I’ll be using more/all of the patterns so you can click on my NewBookforBetterSewing tag at the bottom of this post and see everything I’ve been making from the book.

Click on the image to order the book through STC Craft. Also available via Amazon.com

I took the pattern for the sweetheart sundress bodice and added the pencil skirt without the waistband. I don’t think I’ve spent as little time fitting a dress as I did with this one and ended up with these great results. Thank you Gertie! I think I’ve found myself a pattern maker perfect for my body type.

Here’s my completed dress! I sewed it up in a linen/cotton blend from The French Seam. I did add the boning to the bodice, both at the bust and the side seams. The bodice is self lined and the skirt is lined in a stretch navy lining. I did a bagged hem on the skirt which is different from what Gertie walks you through.

What do you think?

Would you call it a Wonder Woman Dress? Or is it more Hello, Sailor?

39 thoughts on “Wonder Woman Dress

1. zainab says:

me guto muchooooo una pregunta … en la espalda al final del cierre le pusiste un broche cierto? es que no alcanzo a ver… pero definitivamente esta divino… me recontra encanto… que telas usaste?

Love it! I love the navy and red color combo too (as if you can’t tell from my avatar). It’s only the striped sweater that makes me think “sailor”. It’s got a nice 40’s vibe to the style lines. =)

Thanks, Amanda. That’s kinda my hope for myself…that I can just pick up any bodice and any skirt and make them work together. I’m glad it worked in this case. πŸ™‚

3. Sarah C says:

Just discovered your blog from Pattern Review. Are you talking about The French Seam in Castleton, IN by chance? If so, I am in Yorktown!! Always cool to sew other ECI seamstresses!

I am talking about the same shop! Yay for neighbors! I’m not sure I know what ECI stands for…anywho, glad you made your way over here. I’ve been checking out your blog tonight, too. πŸ™‚

4. pooneh says:

WOW! You ROCK that dress – and I’d say it’s ” HELLO sailor! I’m the wonder woman of your dreams!!! ” πŸ˜‰
    I continue to be inspired by you. I saw a needle point shop and am going to pick up a few easy projects for me and the kidlets… who knows – one of them may grow up to be talented, like you! πŸ™‚

Definitely go with a smaller back size on these, too. I wish I had done that with this dress. I ended up taking about 2-3 inches out of the back at the zipper. Luckily, the elastic holds it together. For this particular bodice pattern, and for women doing an FBA, I’d say don’t add the width recommended.