Titanic Blouse aka E0191 Finished

Photo issues: If you don’t see 7 photos of my costume, it’s because wordpress is being buggy. If you’d like to see all the photos I wanted to share with you, feel free to visit my flickr.

Some of you remember that I joined up with a group of pattern testers to test patterns for the Vintage Pattern Lending Library. The project is slowing down as the year is coming to a close but I recently saw a blouse that inspired me to finally finish my second Titanic blouse. Well, third, if you count the one I made for my costumer friend.

I showed you some of my thinking in a post last week. I thought I’d go for a sleeveless version but with the chill in the air I changed my mind and went for the sleeves. I did use another pattern for the sleeves but I don’t think you can tell. After all the pics, I put in the VPLL review, in case you’re interested.

Here I’m showing the blouse tucked in with my E0162 skirt:

From the side/back you can start to see that I also tried leaving the blouse untucked.

Here is the blouse untucked, from the front:

Now, let me show you what I did so I could tie it in front, creating the gathers all at the same time. Here’s the blouse, untucked and untied, from the front. You can see that I’m holding on to ties coming from both sides of the back:

Now, from the back, you can see that the ties are really one continuous tie, attached to the back.

And tying it in front, feeling rather elated, and goofy because I figured out a cool, apparently period way, to do the gathers.

VPLL Checklist

  1. Pattern Name: Ladies Blouse #E0191
  2. Sewer’s Skill Level: Intermediate
  3. Pattern Rating: 3 – Good/Average,
  4. What skill level would someone need to sew this pattern and why? I’d say intermediate only because you need to alter/grade it to fit and manage with minimal instructions.
  5. Were the instructions easy to follow? If not, what needs to be changed? I didn’t follow the directions.
  6. How was the fit/sizing? Did it correspond to what you thought? I learned a lot about my personal alterations needs from this blouse. I actually need to start with a smaller back, so the original size on this blouse worked unaltered and fit perfectly.
  7. Did you make any pattern alterations? If so, what alterations did you make? Where they fit or design alterations? Lots of alterations to the front and I didn’t do the front tucks. I also cut the neckline a little lower and thought I adjusted the collar enough but it fits wonky so I’m guessing I didn’t add enough to make it fit around well. I also used another sleeve from a modern pattern but I think it fits like the pattern would have, after altering. Instead of gathering the front of the blouse permanently, I attached a tie to the back in the hemming process, so I could get in and out of the blouse without buttons/zipper. The tie gathers the front for my changing bust.
  8. Fabric used: Quilting cotton.

23 thoughts on “Titanic Blouse aka E0191 Finished

  1. Cynthia says:

    Great colors, and I love the chevron in back. The ties at the waist are also very cool. All photos came through on my reader and while viewing this page. Let’s hope my comment shows up this time, fingers crossed!

Leave a Reply to Leila Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s