No Coat Dress for Me

I don’t think I want to make the coat dress anymore. I’m having doubts about it which means I really just shouldn’t. I don’t know what to do with the fabric I bought for the coat.

Lesson: Buy fabric AFTER doing the pattern alterations. Then, and only then, I’ll be sure I like the way the garment will look on me.

I’m bummed by this realization. I really wanted to make this coat dress. But I also know myself and in projecting myself into the future, I’m guessing I’d start this and never finish it. And I like finishing thing!

Now I feel like I need to go to garment making support group. Hi, my name is Leila. (You: Hi Leila) It’s been 7 days since I finished the pattern alterations and I don’t think I’m into this garment. (You: Glad to have you) I just don’t know if it’s the design, the fugly fabric I used for the muslin, or the hours of work needed to make this thing. Sigh.

17 thoughts on “No Coat Dress for Me

1. Cynthia says:

So sorry to hear that. Something’s been hitting me lately as well. Feels like it’s taking forever to make any progress. So torn about whether or not I should take a break (which would mean poor hubby yet again misses out on the picnic… which I almost kinda think I should skip, since I’m in such a weird mood lately).

Hope you can get back to it again someday!

2. Rachel says:

Oh that’s sad. I think you’re right to walk away now. I held onto a half made coat for…like 5 years before I admitted it just wasn’t happening, like I moved residences with it. Better to refocus your energy on something that will make you happy!

Yep, I’ve been there, done that too. When you become bored and unmotivated with a project before you actually get started on the real fabric, it’s best just to move on.

I’m trying to decide if I have the energy for a Halloween costume for myself this year. I know what I want to make (I have the shoes and pattern) but I haven’t found the right kind of fabric I need to make it work. Working nights during the week (and staying on that messed up schedule during the weekend) might kill my chances (and motivation).

Maybe you just need to wait until next fall for your coat project. That’s probably what I will do with my costume if I don’t get to it this year.

I’m unmotivated. Definitely. I have to stop reading stuff people write on what kind of clothes look good on my body type. It’s got me bummed. Good luck on the costume.

4. sewbusylizzy says:

There is nothing worse than making yourself make something that you really don’t want to. I think you need to stop, have a break, make something easy that you know works. If you don’t come back to the coat, it’s not a major drama – I’m sure there is another coat out there that will love that fabric!

5. Andrea says:

I agree with ^^ pnk & lizzy above. No sense torturing yourself and taking the fun out of your sewing. Sometimes when I have been very involved in a project, I just need a break from it for a bit. If it calls to me later, great, if not, that’s ok too. Sew something you love!

6. Tia Dia says:

I heartily concur. I have forced myself several times to finish something that I really wasn’t interested in owning/wearing after most of it was said and done, and ended up giving it away! Chalk it up to experience, and move on to something that you really want to be sewing & wearing. And I agree with your last comment: usually when I’m crabby and miserable and unable be happy with anything I’m trying to sew for myself, sewing something for one of my kids turns me into a happy sewer. Mind you, walking away from the sewing room for a few days will give me some perspective, too!

7. sew2pro says:

Two interesting new terms here: ‘torture sewing’ and ‘garment making support group’!

Sad to hear your coat dress didn’t work out but I hope you got lots of support from your readers and the above.

My idea of torture sewing is when my mum/mom gives me some disgusting eighties dress that she used to wear and asks me to make it into something more modern for her …. that she’ll never probably wear anyway…