Sewing Dares

Twitter is what you make of it and yesterday we made some noise. It may seem small to some but all that matters is that we’re having fun. Gillian over at Crafting a Rainbow started daring a couple of people to sew something out of their comfort zone (but within their interest) and all of a sudden we had more people asking to be dared. Dares come in different shapes and rates and they’re only meant to be for fun. That’s the only rule. Well, no. There’s more.

Here are the official Sewing Dare Rules:

1. Have fun. Stop if it is not fun.
  2. There is no rush – Do your dare whenever you want!
  3. Did I mention to have fun?

So, 3 rules. Sorta.

If you want to be dared, connect up here or on twitter and any one of us can dare you to something. Again, it’s only supposed to be for fun so you can always call it quits. This is really just a good way to get to know one another. And you can always ask for a different dare or modify it, as I did.

My dare:

Use a pattern more than once

I did make the pencil skirt 3 times but I’m not one to often repeat a pattern. Even on something I really like. So this was an attainable reach for me. Use a pattern more than once. Just once. See how easy this can be?

To start, I’m actually cutting my fabric for my Victorian Ballgown and I’m using a pattern I’ve used before. I’m tweaking it but still same pattern. Yay for dares!

Join in. Comment and I’ll go through your blog to find a gap in the stuff you make and offer a dare. Once you like your dare, we can add your name to Gillian’s list on her blog. Go over there now and check out the other dares.

28 thoughts on “Sewing Dares

Of course. No rush. No deadline. What about I dare you to print out and use croquis for sketching dress designs? Or, if you don’t like that one, I dare you to make an everyday t-shirt.

1. E-von says:

Please dare me! I would like to be in, but yes…as long as there isn’t a time frame. I have been stuck in a sewing rut for ages and need a challenge 🙂
    Thanks for sharing

Let me stalk your..whoa! You’re a crime fighter by day and creator by night and you used to be a make-up artist! I love this country! And you have a dog named Buffy? Please tell me it’s cos of the show. Ok. I’m done hyperventilating. I dare you to make a pair of trousers. Any kind you want. But trousers. Didn’t find any on your blog or PR. Let me know what you think.

yeah, right. Even my husband who never watches (though he says he saw an ep or two in college when it originally aired) hates Riley.

I’m doing a Buffy marathon at the mo’. I’m half way thru S4- the beginning of Riley. His lines. It’s like Whedon wants me to hate Riley. hahaa I’m a huge Spike fan! My claim to Buffy fangirl fame is that I met Nick Brendon and he gave me a hug! Squeal. And then James Marsters walked by me and I swear he pointed at my boobs, though he was probably just telling his friend which way to go.

• Amity Gleason says:

Ahahahhaha…that is a fantastic story! And I got to meet Nicholas Brendon too! But I didn’t get a hug…it was at the end of my Freshman year of high school…I thought he was so dreamy (Spike didn’t show up until the next season). I went up to San Francisco to meet him and got an autographed picture. (SF wasn’t far…I was from Northern Cali) So I move down to Southern California as an adult and guess what? One of my best friends went to high school with him and his twin brother and talks to them all the time….it seemed like such a big deal a lifetime ago! Such a tiny tiny world….

That is so cool!

I might have started to cry like a little girl when I met Nick. Sheesh, I’m a grown woman! But yeah, you cry, you get hug. 🙂

That’s so cool you got to meet him when the show was airing! I just met him last year.

2. Sharon says:

Oooo, a sewing dare. I love it! Of course now I have to actually think of one. And I certainty don’t want you poking around my blog to come up with one for me as you just might remember that I was going to sew myself a coat before 2012 ended (ha!) I guess that probably would be a good dare wouldn’t it? Although I’ve never sewn myself a pair of jeans either. And I’ve never sewn with leather. Hmmmm, what to choose, what to choose…