Tags

,

image

Good news! I have enough fabric to make the entire skirt out of the burgundy taffeta. I hope to get the skirt put together before the pink velveteen gets here. I still have to draft the bodice. The skirt pattern is the same I used for my Snow White costume so it’s a quick make. I did modify the pattern by adding a second side gore, giving me a bigger skirt. I also added 4″ to the width of the back for more flounce.

I did decide no train. At all. I don’t want my skirt to get stepped on. I’ll live.

If you’re curious, I got the skirt pattern from Frances Grimble’s book Fashions of the Gilded Age, Vol. 1. I copied the skirt pattern pieces and then took them to Staples to have them enlarged. Lucky for me, the person working the copy center had good math skills and worked out how to enlarge it. I’ve drafted patterns from this same book based on the scale and it works just as well. I drafted my 1911 corset from a book based on the scale and then made a copy and enlarged it and they matched almost perfectly. It was wild. By the way, I can’t believe I don’t have a photo of the finished corset. It turned out quite well even if I only used twill and not coutil– which I am in love with now. I must add that I’m glad I started making corsets out of scraps. My first corset was made out of my husband’s old jeans. No joke.

Moving right along. I’m going to this ball dudes!

Advertisements