My Go To Cape!

I bought some wool suiting about 3 or 4 months ago and had every intention of making a coat but then I realized I wanted something else. I mentioned in my last post that I was going to make my daughter a cape but she insisted on a different style. Lucky for me, Andrea at GoToPatterns made a Go To Cape for Women, too.

I cut the Tall size for the length and tapered it to the M for the shoulders. Now that I look at photos, I’m reminded of my need for more length in the front for the ladies…but at the same time, I like the cascade look from the front to the back.

The brown wool is a suiting. I interlined it with a thin flannel and lined it with a poly charmeuse. It has the perfect combination of weight and drape.

I can wear this EVERYWHERE and I’m planning on using it with my Victorian costumes.

I swear I tried to get out all the fabric creases. Gah! I thought they were all out.

cape backcape back wingspan  cape side frontcape closed

TA-DAAA!TaDaa cape

No words for my excitement.

40 thoughts on “My Go To Cape!

do it! You might like pockets so you can put your hands in something. I’m making a period muff/hand warmer so that’s what I’m keeping warm with. 🙂

I love how basic it is – and then the bright surprise inside! Beautiful blue! It will be perfect for almost any costume, plus everyday-just-because. =)

I bet that pattern would make a fun rain-cape with the right vinyl. So cute on you!

I like little surprises like that. I’m thinking it will work as my 10th Doctor “coat” along with my 50s femme costume. I think I just found the perfect look. And every day just because, yes!

I had never thought of making it as a rain cape. That is a cool idea!

2. Kat says:

Oh, that’s beautiful…the lining is a fab and unexpected SPLASH of colour!!! I’ve always thought of sewing a cape – they seem so versatile because they go over just about anything! You’ve inspired me to make one…but I think I’ll wait till it gets a tad cooler 😛

• Kat says:

Oh, that would be awesome! I have fabric for a rain coat…maybe I’ll make a rain cape! I could see how it would be more effective at keeping you dry. Great suggestion.

• Kat says:

Huh, good point. Perhaps you could keep your arms inside the cape at all times…yeah, that’s practical 😛

• Brooke says:

hehe, since I seem to have caused an engineering dilemma, let me help with a solution: either put a flap over the arm slits (pointing down to keep rain from running in) or don’t include the slits and create a “poncho sleeve”. A poncho sleeve is really just a snap or button at the hem, leaving a hole for your hand at the side hem – like this one.

ooh, I have seen the flaps over the arm slits…Now I’m wishing I had done that. Those look really cool and then you kinda don’t even notice there is a slit at all. I seem to have a thing for secrets.

thanks Brooke!

3. Ladyd says:

Looks great. I really need to make me a cape…..I’ve seen one in ‘costumes in detail’ that looks easy enough. Its basically same pattern as a half circle skirt but with a hood.

I’m loving my capes. I forgot I have a satin pink vintage one from my college days. I just need a way to incorporate it into my daily costume.

I took a peek at your blog. Love it.

4. Liz says:

If anyone else wants the warmth of wool for their costuming/awesome winter wear, but is sensitive to the prickles–this cape can be fully lined and hangs without fastening, so if it’s buttoned you won’t have to keep tugging at it for it to stay in place. That gorgeous wool suiting is super-prickly and I couldn’t feel a thing through the lining when I grabbed the 1/2 finished cape to keep warm while I watched her sew other stuff.

Also, the wool should shed quite a bit of rain without getting soaked.

5. Elizabeth says:

I love your cape! Something I would definitely wear! I have a question – did your pattern have buttonhole markings? I’m trying to make one (for a Christmas present – I’m kinda cutting it close!) and my pattern doesn’t have any markings for buttonholes.