Sewing Dares and a Second Tiramisu Dress!

I’ve sewn a pattern twice. I mean I love making and re-making wristlets but clothing…clothing was a different beast. I usually make costumes or dresses that have a specific purpose, not just to be worn, if that makes sense. So, I got my sewing dare to be a repeat pattern user.

My first Tiramisu dress was okay. I mean, I went for subtle, but this second dress was going to be different. I wanted to go for something else. Finding the perfect fabric wasn’t happening. Then I saw a double sided jersey at JoAnn of all places. I feels super soft in the store and after two washings. Be forewarned, it shrinks like nobody’s business. I bought 2.5 yards and after the two washes in cold water, it shrunk to 2 yards. That’s some serious shrinkage. I wonder if it’s gonna shrink more. Guess I’ll have to see.

The fabric is a polka dot on one side and a stripe on the other. I just used one side for the bodice and the other side for the skirt. I wonder what it would look like reversed.

I had to wear some sort of covering cos it’s still winter and still pretty cold, even for a 40 degree F day. I have some wedges I’m gonna wear with this dress in Spring and Summer.

red tira front with hatred tira angle red tira back viewย  red tira no sweater red tira pointing red tira sitting

What do you think?

You can get the pattern from Etsy or even download it and print at home from Craftsy.

47 thoughts on “Sewing Dares and a Second Tiramisu Dress!

Cool fabric! I really like how you used the opposite side to edge the neck and sleeves. (It would be fun to hem it on the outside too, so you can see the polka-dots on the edge of skirt.) And I love your hat and gloves!

Crazy that your fabric shrinks that much in COLD water! The only fabric I’ve had shrink that significantly was a cotton waffle-weave thermal, but I pre-wash everything in hot water to get as much shrinkage (as a fabric will hopefully want) over with all at once. Did you dry it in the dryer?

thanks. and yeah, I did dry in the dryer. I need to put my fabric thru the kind of wash someone who isn’t paying attention would do…cos I’m not telling my husband to stop doing laundry. hehe. I should do it in hot next time. I like the dots on the hem idea.

• Brooke says:

I always dry my yardage in the dryer too. Hopefully, it’s finished shrinking ‘cuz your dress is great! I taught my husband to air-dry most of my stuff and told him “when in doubt, hang it up!” because like you, I don’t want to stop him from helping. Laundry doing husbands are the best! =)

Mine won’t air dry anything. But, really, I have nothing to complain about. Like you said, laundry doing husbands ARE the best.

Thanks so much. I did have to take out stitches 3 x on the back of the skirt. But I basted with a super long straight stitch so picking wasn’t too bad.

2. B says:

nice workk on the trim. That adds a lot. I like bias use of the stripes in the skirt. I made a knit dress with a skirt like that once, it is a very flattering cut and the strips look nice that way. Good fitting, too. Very pretty.

3. Kat says:

Your creativity is so inspiring and your dress looks totally hawt on you! It’s so great! I love your use of both sides and the binding on the neckline is really fab. I’m amazed at the shrinkage too…never had that happen. I take that back, there was a fabric I bought at Lincraft which I did prewash but shrunk to HALF it’s size under the iron…WTF seriously? So, I guess you never know at the big chain stores. Better to buy more ๐Ÿ™‚ Regardless, your dress turned out beautifully.

4. cjgal says:

Damn you look sexy in this dress! I love the contrast, indeed it’d be cool to see the opposite side and how the alternate would look. Love it, you look fabs!

5. Gjeometry says:

Love this dress. Your fabric choices and the way you combined them look so cool! I know a lot of bloggers doing the tiramisu dress challenge, I just heard about it recently. I’m going to follow your blog and see what else you come up with ๐Ÿ™‚ (Question: Is the bias binding on the top the same fabric as the skirt?)

Hi! Thanks for cominh by my blog. The fabric is literally made of two thin knits that they put together so I only used one fabric but since it has two different prints, I just used the dots side for the bodice and the stripes side for the skirt and the neck and sleeve binding. So technically all the same fabric. ๐Ÿ™‚

6. gmariesews says:

Every single time I see another version of this dress, it just confirms that i need to buy it. I’m not sure which one I like better – this one of the silk jersey version. I haven’t seen your first dress yet – having just found your blog. And in answer to the question what happens when you find the third pattern? you continue making many, many more lovely dresses from your 3 dress patterns – ala Carolyn. g

You’re exactly right. I don’t know why it seemed doomed to find the first pattern. Funny how things are… And a perfect comparison. Carolyn does such an amazing job with her TNT patterns. And her garments always look so nice.

7. nancy says:

I personally would have done the darker color on the bottom, I think, for the overall look of it. But that picture of just the top proves that it looks great on you ๐Ÿ™‚