Silk Jersey Tira

My third Tira. I couldn’t have picked a better fabric. I went to The French Seam here in town, and I saw the softest, most beautiful knit. Courtney told me that it was cotton/silk (yeah, it’s all silk)- no wonder I loved it so much, and that high end dresses are made from this very fabric. Basically, she knows how to sell me on fabric. (psst, it doesn’t take much- just touch it)

I made a change in the pattern size and while I think the dress still fits and works for me, I’m gonna keep in mind what I did for the next one. For my navy Tira, I used the size 40D for the front and a 35 for the back- trueing the shoulders to match the front. For this Tira, I used the 35D for the front, 35 for the back. I think the 40D is a better fit for the front but I still love this dress. All my skirts have been cut 35s and this one is unhemmed.

I love this dress so much, I went to the trouble of putting on a show for you. I hope you enjoy.

“oh, hello? Why yes, of course you can come over.”

silk cotton tira vintage pose

“I’ll put the coffee on. I’m thrilled I get to see you.”

silk cotton tira coffee

“You are a doll.”

Silk cotton tira phonecall

“I should bake something…”

silk cotton tira back view

“I wonder how this contraption works.”

silk cotton tira with oven

“My darling friend brought me this.”

silk cotton tira doll

47 thoughts on “Silk Jersey Tira

1. sewexhausted says:

LOVE it Leila… and you are rocking it! (Great shoes!) I too want to touch the fabric! I have a hard time ordering online cuz touch and the weight is soooo important! Sigh…

Thank you so much for the compliment. I like FabricMart for how they describe the fabric but I agree there’s a layer of uncertainty when you buy online.

• sewexhausted says:

I agree- and FabricMart is pretty good- I like the way they describe the fabric as well- from the way they say it falls from the body to the weight… I have been happy with everything I have gotten from them so far!

Thanks Heather. Hey, you say the word and I’ll get some for you. I think the shop still has some. You’d lurve it. Girl crush away. It’s mutual. πŸ™‚

lol, you are such a ham – I love that about you!

Another great dress! Fun print, the fabric sounds & looks wonderfully tactile, and you look like you are having a good time wearing it for the photo-shoot. =)

Brooke, how in the world do you know me so well?? You get me. Calling me a ham is the best compliment and exactly what my family has always called me.

3. Gjeometry says:

Lovely dress! And the fabric is so pretty. I am starting a Sewing With Knits course on Craftsy next week and am excited to be able to sew something just like this!

4. attachlings says:

Wow!
    Gorgeous!
    And you look so lovely in it. You have classic starlet looks that really shine with a pretty dress. Of course the hair and lipstick make me think of the 50s starlets. πŸ™‚

Thanks so much. I’m very flattered. This will be a great dress for those Coxhall Gardens days when it’s incredibly hot and we’re sweating our smiles off. πŸ™‚

5. geebeew says:

Totally fabulous! Love, love, love! (Also, I picture you and your husband laughing a lot while taking these shots – and that is awesome!)

Vestido, primita. Si queres te compro el patron y te lo mando. Te ubicas con direcciones en ingles, cierto? Y mandame la direccion otra ves. Te quiero.

6. StephC says:

This looks so good, I think it looks like the best fit yet… Though the others were also quite good. πŸ™‚ And cotton silk printed jersey?? I want that! It looks delicious, what a great Tira.

And your photos are just great. πŸ™‚

7. Becky says:

Lovely dress! And that silk/cotton knit sounds scrumptious. After seeing the setup on Twitter yesterday, it makes so much more sense with the dress action shots.

Thank you! The fabric is really one of the nicest I’ve worked with. Yeah, the setup pic was to tease. But I had to have this post ready so the teasing didn’t go on too long. πŸ™‚