Pink Pavlova Frosting

I’ve been making more cake, aka every day, wear lately and I really needed some frosting. I have a sweet tooth in my sewing. A serious sweet tooth. I had been working on a full petticoat since Spring 2012 and just finally finished it. You know what urged me to finish it? The Pavlova skirt from Cake patterns.

I bought a yard and a quarter for a cape for my daughter and she didn’t want a cape so I put the fabric, sadly, in stash until Pavlova came out and it was still winter and I wanted to show winter that I was fine with it staying. I really thought that if I made a melton wool skirt that Spring would come quicker. Guess that reverse psychology didn’t work.

But the skirt did work.

Pink Pavlova front Pink Pavlova grill no meat Pink Pavlova poser Pink Pavlova side and back Pink Pavlova side view Pink Pavlova with grill

Pattern: Cake’s new Pavlova wrap top and circle skirt with sea shell pocket

Fabric: Melton wool from The French Seam in Indianapolis for the skirt

Rayon jersey for the wrap top from Vogue Fabrics

Size cut for the wrap top: I cut the size 40 because of my 42.5″ bust but didn’t cut down the back to a smaller size and so it’s a bit loose in the back but you can’t tell because it’s a wrap. You can tell the sleeves are a little baggy but I actually like them fine. I have fabric for another wrap top and I’m going to try a slimmer sleeve and cutting a smaller back size.

I cut the smallest size ties because I didn’t have enough fabric for the ties in my size and between the fabric relaxing and the general stretch of the knit, they can tie easily in back or, as you see in the pictures, in the front in a very cute little knot.

This rayon jersey is really drapey so I’m guessing that with a less drapey and stretchy knit I might cut the size 40 and get a slightly different look. Ah, the fun of sewing with knits.

Check the SewingCake site for more pics on how to do the collar. That’s the only part where I scratched a hole in my noodle but now that I get it, it won’t take any time at all on the second wrap I’m making.

Size cut for the circle skirt: I cut the 35 waist band and as you can tell in some of the photos, my skirt is kinda falling off. This is not the pattern’s fault. This is because I’ve recently stopped eating gluten and I’ve been losing weight. This skirt fit two weeks ago. I will be redoing the waist band to take it in. I spent a lot of time on it doing a hand picked zipper (you might have seen on IG), the home made 3″ wide horsehair braid I made out of bias cut crinoline and adding the purple binding that annoyingly looks blue in these photos. The fabric made me do it. It begged me to take my time and I listened. I’m glad I did but I’m definitely going for a knit skirt with a wide elastic waistband for my next Pavlova skirt. [Just a note: the pattern doesn’t call for all this fussiness with the skirt. It’s just me trying out new things.]

Also, because I had so little fabric to work with, I cut the shortest size which, as you can see, works for my 5’4″ stature.

I have been wearing my wrap top with my Gertie pencil skirts. It’s a perfect match. However, I need a high waisted pant/skirt/shorts or else I show tummy. I’m kinda okay with that but I really do like the high waisted everything. I really want to make the wrap top without the ties for a little sweater for Spring and Summer. I’m loving it.

54 thoughts on “Pink Pavlova Frosting

1. ladykatza says:

I love this! And I think I have that exact same melton wool (deep orchid?) in my stash, but I got it from Fabric Mart. And you can definitely see the weight loss in your face. 🙂

2. 5currantbuns says:

Wow, that looks fabulous, I really like the binding round the hem, it really brings the pink to life…take that winter, you can’t hold back spring for ever… (it’s snowing here in the UK and by boy has gone out with his sledge)

3. Betsy says:

Hi,

I love how you look in that outfit. I like your hair down and I think the soft top is very pretty. So feminine and attractive.

I was wonderfing if you could take some of the good features of that top and do something else with it another time.

That is a versitile flattering shape on you, and the give of the fabric is pretty, but the wrap ties limit it some.

What if…..you used your side seams in the top and wrapped it over, and just shirred the gathers into the side seams…Maybe an INTERNAL string tie would keep the bust gathers more secure.

Then you would slim down the waist, ( not much gathering below waistline) inside the skirt making it longer and shaping it over the high top hip curve.
    You could leave some of that fullness in the back, which gives it nice ease the way it is, adds grace and lets the fabric be the fabric, and just have the back plain, cut long enough with the front to be tucked in without the ties. The back could have some small double ended darts to help with the waist shaping.

The ties help with the control of the top, but add bulk. Tucked in it would be more comfortable to wear.

You’d have to figure out a closing and in that light jersey it will be a finesse job. With the wide neck, I think it will pull over your head and you could close the bottom waist at the runched side seam –from below the bust down, with a series of little hook and eyes on one side.

This is the kind of top that can also be attached like a bathing suit to a built in bra/camisole idea.

I think you look lovely in the full skirt. You did a great job with that too, and the colors are pretty on you. The binding is a treat.

I like skirts without waistbands, too. if the blouse doesn’t pull out, a skirt that floats just below the natural waist is slimming.

I used to make all my slacks and shorts with no waistbands–just self faced
    I liked wrapped blouson tops in drapey silks. I had some that tied with narrow ties , but I didn’t like them riding up, so I started making them as above. I loved that look with an open front short cropped jacket with a stand up collar band.

I’ve seen business suits that had straight skirts with a raised waist–not necessarily a separate band, and a cropped open jacket that looked darling on busty gals.

Aboat neck blouson underneath is sweet–dropped raglan cap sleeves. easy fit to that, and then the sort of clerical collar band on the jacket which does not close.

Straight sleves on the jacket–can be elbow or longer, have to check the proportions when it is on.
    The bottom edge of the jacket skims the wasitline of the skirt–even if it is a darted raised waist. It is not cut close to the body, straight drop from underarms.

With your full bust you’d have to be careful you got that to drop and not gap open in the front.

I wonder how you’d look with a full cut dolman/raglan cut top, short to the waist–like an over the top shrug.
    Hum.

B

4. K-Line says:

I love this look on you! Very sexy – but sweet and wearable. The Pavlova highlights the shape of your breasts really nicely. (I realize that sounds creepy – but I mean it as a sewist and bra-fitter!)

Thanks! I like how you describe it. It totally does hit those notes. Not creepy at all about my breasts. Thank you. I’m flattered you’d notice since we did talk bras on twitter. 🙂

Thank. I thought at first I wouldn’t like loose sleeves but then I really really did. I do like fitted everywhere but i’m thinking sleeves are okay this way.

Thank you! I hope you do get your petticoat finished. Now that I’m finished, I can say it wasn’t that bad but at the time I groaned every time I saw it. haha

Oh, what a cute retro ’50s housewife you make (especially with the grill as a prop, hehe) – I love it with the petticoat! The pocket and your handpicked zipper are beautifully crafted! I love the whole look! You could totally wear it (petticoat and all) as an everyday outfit – you’d definitely get lots of smiles. =)

6. smittenness says:

Wow, such a cute outfit. The binding really pops on that gorgeous pink. Really like the detail on the skirt pocket. And I’m getting serious envy looking at that wrap top.

Thank you! The pocket makes me smile every time. As for the wrap top envy, it’s nice to have a pattern that I feel is flattering…finally. Y’know?

Thank you Lisa. I’m definitely trying more real clothes every day. I’m putting buttons on two shirts today. It’s weird that they’re not costumes but it also is kinda nice.

7. Theresa in Mérida says:

That color combination is so flattering to your complexion. You just glow! I love the pocket detail in the skirt. I like bandeaus under tops that I think may gap. Not a lot of extra fabric to add more bulk, just a simple tube with a elastic casing on top covering my bra and clevage.

As for being gluten free, be careful with the “gluten free” substitutes out there, they often substitute junk carbs for the gluten. I think the less processed foods the better. There are some great recipes on the web. We gave up grains and refined sugar last year (we’re pretty much primal eaters these days) and it’s made a tremendous difference in our health and weight. Husband lost 50 pounds and I lost 30. For me the best part has been that my blood sugar is more stable. No more sudden drops and frantic eating! I wish I had figured this out sooner! My goal for this year is adding more greens to our diet.

regards,
    Theresa

Thanks Theresa and great advice!

I’m already feeling the benefits of going gluten-free and it hasn’t been that long. I’ll definitely be careful about the gluten free substitute stuff. Thank you.