Sewing Hiatus is Over

After two weeks of not sewing, my interest was finally rekindled. I bought a couple of bra patterns and started working on one.

I’m just using what I have on hand which is power mesh and a green knit I used on the boy’s Aquaman pants. So glad I didn’t throw out those scraps.


I’m planning on using an old bra for parts (really just the underwire) and adding boning to the front center and sides since this is a longline.

But honestly, this is starting to look like swimwear. I guess the style straps I use as well as the back closure will either say lingerie or bather.

I’m happy I felt that urge to sew. It was really nice. Thanks to everyone who has been gently assuring me this day would come. I really appreciate it.

15 thoughts on “Sewing Hiatus is Over

  1. Betsy says:


    It’s interesting to see how you sew with that power mesh fabric. My sewing skills are very short on stretchy fabrics.

    Since I have wanted to sew some swimwear, because I can never find what I want, I’m excited about your tackling this project. I like those good photos.

    Do you use a serger? I don’t think my old machine even has the right stretch stitches to do that stuff. With all that curvy construction it will be fun to watch.

    Your green mesh is great! It will make one nifty ‘ training bra.’

    Good luck.

    • Leila says:

      I’m treating this bra as an experiment. I won’t be spending much on materials so that I can just make every mistake in the book. I do have a serger but I don’t have wooly nylon which is what I’d like to use on my final bras and swimsuits. I also have the idea to put an underwire in this one. wish me luck.

  2. Brooke says:

    Yay that you got the sewing bug again! I think it usually takes me about 2 weeks to get back into it after I do a big project too.

    Btw, I tried that zigzag stitch with the straight edge on one side the other day at work. I really like it! I had never seen anyone use it before you mentioned it, and every place I’ve worked and used spandex fabrics, we’ve always just used a plain zigzag (probably partly due to the fact that the machines are always older and don’t have the newer fancy stitches). Thanks for alerting me to that stitch existing! Once again you have proved my point that I learn at least one new thing from everyone I’ve ever “worked with” even if it’s through the internet. =)

    • Leila says:

      I think I should just put up a sign in my sewing room that reminds me that after something big, I will probably take 2 weeks off.

      I’m glad you tried that zig zag stitch. I’m always impressed with your attitude toward learning. I mean, you’re pro and you have this great outlook on beginners and building skill and all of that. You’re an inspiration to me.

  3. robindrush says:

    Great start! I’m interested in how your bra develops. I’ve been wanting to make a bra/camisole/shaper. Now if I could just get out of the starting gate. I’ve relocated my sewing space so everything is a mess. The hiatus is ending–the mojo shall return. Glad to hear your sewing urge is back.

    • Leila says:

      You know what I did to get out of the starting gate? I bought the lingerie collection from PatternMaker, took a ton of measurements, put them in and printed this pattern out. I know I’ll need to tweak it but I felt the fear of getting a start on fitting melt away.

  4. Gillian says:

    I’m glad you are sewing again! I’m trying to get back to blogging… I feel like I left it for a few weeks and suddenly forgot how!
    Hope you had fun at the Lego thingy today! 🙂

    • Leila says:

      yeah, I don’t know why I’m so thrown by sewing breaks. It’s like part of me thinks that I’ll never want to sew ever again. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s