I was on a roll and am very close to finishing my first bra. I started with the longline pattern from the lingerie collection from PatternMaker. All you do is use their Basic Reader version of the PatternMaker CAD program to input your measurements, add in the amount of stretch in your fabric, your desired seam allowances and it drafts it for you. These are the blocks:
I first used this program with the book Make Your Own Clothes by Marie Clayton. I also got to play with the higher end studio versions of PatternMaker during the 1912 Project. I didn’t get far in drafting with PatternMaker but one day I’d like to learn how.
In making this first bra, I learned how to more accurately take my measurements and what tweaks to make on the next one.
I still want to add under-wire but I’m waiting on my bra making supplies from Sew Sassy. For now, I’m using what I have on hand and dissecting old bras.
It’s a little baggy from the armpit to the bust seam but I know what happened there. I took one measurement wrong. User fail.
Twin needle action with lime green. You can also see the boning channels to the right which is center front.
I used fold over elastic (FOE) around the raw edges and stitched some to the straps to bring new life to my old straps. On the back, you can see the old bra hook and eyes that don’t match. You can also see the inside and the power mesh, as well as the boning.
The fit is hard to tell because it didn’t have underwire. I’m tempted to find bias binding and using that to test it out. I do have underwires.
This is what I pulled off my old bra:
Good-bye boring old bra. I’m going to make something for April Challis Month as well as cut another bra. I should get my bra-making supplies soon.