Quilt Idea: Hexagon Field

image

image

These images are from Kazu Kibuishi’s book Amulet: The Last Council. It’s book four of a series.

The Hexagon Field is a puzzle the characters have to solve it to cross and continue on their adventure. I’ve thought of these images since I first read the book to my kids. I don’t think they were as mesmerized as I was but that doesn’t bother me.

With all the hexies I’ve seen my Twitter friends making, and my slow garment making as of late, I thought I should play around with a quilt top.

I have a Architextures fabric but no pattern picked out yet. I want something that isn’t too basic but not too complicated and that doesn’t use solid in the background.

What I’m saying is that I want to sew but I don’t want to sew garments so I should reset my sewing expectations as well as reorganize my sewing to do list. Wish me luck.

10 thoughts on “Quilt Idea: Hexagon Field

That comic art reminds me of a quilt I have that my great grandmother made completely by hand – it is made entirely of one-and-a-half inch hexagons. She chose to make them into “flowers” using random colored scraps with white hexagons between, but it would be really cool to copy the comic look!

• Brooke says:

Yeah, I don’t think I would ever finish something like that either! But it looks really cool and it’s something I will always appreciate just because I didn’t have to make it to have it, hehe. (And a lot of the scraps she used are really cool vintage prints!)

Yeah, see, that kind of thinking makes me want to make something super involved because it’s a quilt we’ll have in the family forever. That’s kind of why I wanted to find a pattern for my Architextures fabric that would be perfect for a long long time.

2. Gillian says:

I love those books – but I really need to catch up on vol 4 and 5! I should see if the library has them… I think you quilting ideas is great! Sometimes it’s so nice to have a hand sewing project on the go!

3. Becky says:

Now that I’ve seen that, I’m going to think of a game board when I see hexagon quilts. I’m sure SOMEBODY had to do a Settlers of Catan quilt…

oh, you know people have made a Settlers quilt. I’ve seen a couple looming around the webs. all I ever see with hexagon quilts are games. hehe