Sewing Surprises Reveal

Nova over at SparklySuperNova organized a gift exchange called Sewing Surprises. We were assigned a partner, though they weren’t the same person we’d be getting a surprise from, which I thought was interesting.

I surprised Sarah with…well, I’ll let her tell you all about it.

I got a lovely surprise from Laurie at SewExhausted. She sent me yardage of this floral print. I’m thinking a shirt dress. Yes, a shirt dress. I love it and that says something coming from someone who doesn’t do much in the print realm.

She sent me a really cool card which you can see below furthest left, a journal, middle, and she made me a fabric basket. I’ve always wanted one and I just never made one- crazy, I know! It’s just one of those things.

image

Inside the fabric basket, she also sent me some cool buttons, ribbon, beads and hem facing. I love it all.

image

This was officially my first swap. I can see why people get hooked on these. They are so fun. It’s nice getting a surprise box from someone you know from Twitter and the blogosphere, like I know Laurie.

Thank you to Nova and thank you to Laurie!!

Are you participating in any swaps or do you shy away from swaps altogether? Any swaps I should look out for?

19 thoughts on “Sewing Surprises Reveal

1. Becky says:

I used to do some of the geeky themed swaps over at Craftster.com back in the day, but often ended up disappointed because I inevitably ended up liking the stuff I sent more than what I got in return. I did do this swap though, the first one I’ve done since then, and I wasn’t disappointed at all this time!

What a nice box of goodies! The fabric would make a great shirt dress!

I’ve never done the swap thing before – partly because I never hear about them in time and partly because it’s really hard to decide what I’m willing to give up in my own stash. I have tried doing some of the kitchen towel swaps and such with local friends (still through the mail) but it’s too much like a chain letter and never seems to work out.

Yeah, I never hear about them in time, either. Well, we’ll see if we do a twitter swap of some sort. I liked this swap because it wasn’t meant as just sewing/fabric/crafty stuff swap.

3. sewexhausted says:

I am so happy you enjoyed your gift- The whole time I was picking the floral I kept remembering you prefer solids and ALMOST took it out! (I loved it and could easily find something to make!) … But I decided to include it anyway. Glad I did and glad you like it! ~Laurie

sometimes I think it’s just that with prints you have soooo many options, I don’t know where to start. Y’know? maybe once I’ve been sewing longer I’ll know what I like. 🙂 Thank you again!

4. chuleenan says:

That’s so cool! I haven’t participated in any crafty swaps before. I’ll definitely have to keep an eye out.

Are there any pattern swaps out there? That would seem like a good one to do. There was a pattern swap at the Pattern Review weekend. I brought 4 and took 3. 😉

There’s the Pattern Pyramids out there. I don’t know who’s got it now but Twitter probably knows. I’ll see what I can find out. Have you heard of these? Not quite a swap but kind of still a swap.

5. sparklysupernova says:

Yay! I’m so pleased you enjoyed this swap! (It was my first to organise but ill defiantly do one again) I’m just waiting for everyone’s blogs to be posted then i’ll do a link on my page so everyone can see all the goodies =) I’m pleased it went as smooth as it did! But I find the sewing community lovely to work with anyway. I’m loving that floral fabric! x