Vogue Patterns: Summer 2013

There are some Vogue patterns that have caught my attention but not all of them are for me to make. You see, I’m starting to sew with knits more and I’m trying to buy fabric for the kind of garments I like to wear. It’s kind of a thing for me now to sew with knits.

I went through the patterns Vogue just put out for Summer 2013 and picked out the ones I’d actually make. Realistically.

[Click on the images to go to the original websites.]

When I saw this Easy Options shirtdress, I thought 40s and 70s. This one speaks more to the 70s, like a Diane von Furstenberg dress but the accessories reach for today in that modern I’ll take all the period styles and mesh them into one sort of way. Check out the orange cotton knit from Marcy Tilton. Isn’t that something. I Love it!

Marcy Tilton’s Shingle Dress is an ode to the 1920s Flapper Dresses but without the total boxiness. I’d love to make it with this stretch lace from Gorgeous Fabrics….

and underlining it (without all the tiers) in this silk jersey…though maybe a different color underlining would look cool, too.

I like this next dress Kay Unger pattern but I’m not sure what to pair it with yet. I like the neckline darts and the skirt pleats a lot.

But, really, I just want that fabric.

Those are my realistic buys. I like some components of some of the jackets but without a collar, I’m less likely to make them. I could draft a collar, yes, but for now, in the early stages of learning jacket making, I need to keep it simple.

Did you find any Vogues you like? Any immediate ideas pop in your head?

19 thoughts on “Vogue Patterns: Summer 2013

I was bored with all the new patterns (same as I am with the RTW styles in stores right now) but I did love that fabric on the last dress pattern you pictured very much! Wish it were easier to get some of those designer fabrics that pattern companies and clothing designers use.

I really like that orange cotton knit print you found!

It seems like the patterns are less interesting which makes these companies go for the sweet designer fabrics to lure us into buying the patterns. ha!

• Brooke says:

Oh, definitely! It’s the fabric choice on the envelopes that always sells the patterns because most people can’t see anything else in their mind. (Notice that almost every dress is pictured in black on patterns with more than one photo). That’s why they reissue patterns with new envelope art/pictures when they don’t sell the first time around. They’re sneaky like that, hehe.

2. sewbusylizzy says:

I am liking the tied layered knit dress. It’s a little different but very wearable and room for personalization. I fall in & out of love with the shirtdress, it will probably be love. Always is with shirtdresses!

3. CGCouture says:

I didn’t really see anything (though that may change as I see others make them up) that caught my eye. What designers create and what I’m actually willing to wear seem to be in completely different galaxies sometimes–and I don’t like to sew up things I know I won’t get any use out of. On one hand, that means that my sewing is pretty boring to others, but on the other hand, it means that I don’t have near as much wasted closet space/time/materials.

4. Gjeometry says:

I love the Kay Unger dress, both the pattern and the fabric. Actually, I liked the fabrics for most of the new Vogue patterns, actually more than the patterns! But, this dress, I ‘pinned’ and do plan on making it.

5. sewamysew says:

I am loving McCall’s 6696! I’ve been searching for a really good go to shirt dress pattern and I think I’ve found it. Can’t wait for my order to arrive.