Abstract Floral Violet, Or I can’t believe I’m wearing a print blouse!

Most of you know what the Colette Violet blouse looks like. Some of you might remember my first Violet blouse and those of you who chat with me on Twitter, remember that there’s actually an undocumented Violet– the one with the awesome white shirting I got from The French Seam. (It’s white and has a peter pan collar and I don’t know what to wear it with since it makes me look like I’m role playing a overdeveloped school girl.)

I’m blogging about this blouse because it’s a print. This is somewhat new for me. When I started making my own clothes, I was actually drawn to prints. Then, I started working toward a better fit and I went solids. My costumes sometimes get prints but most of the time I just prefer texture to a print.

Let me stop talking and show you a couple of pictures.

abstract floral violet abstract floral violet side abstract floral violet front abstract floral violet back

What do you think? Should I keep trying to wear prints? What kind of prints do you recommend for me? I have worked with stripes but they don’t scare me as much as prints do. Share your first forays into sewing with prints.

40 thoughts on “Abstract Floral Violet, Or I can’t believe I’m wearing a print blouse!

1. sewbusylizzy says:

I love the print with the jacket. It softens the look.
    I love the cleverness of stripes but often think they look harsh.
    Florals and abstracts are good I think. Combined with solids or a cool jacket and boots they provide an interesting visual contrast. Just a little bit of girliness or fun.

I can do that. I’m the type of person that dives in head first and doesn’t look back so having a splash of print seems not enough… but it really is. Thank you!

• sewbusylizzy says:

Exactly. I love lace with a camo print, grunge with tweed, floral with denim. You don’t have to wholly subscribe to a ‘look’, ‘era’, ‘philosophy’ – it’s more interesting if you don’t. Embrace the print (with optional extras!).

I like that. I might just print it out and put it in my sewing room I like it so much. You’re also the person that reminded me that not everything needs to be super fitted. πŸ™‚ I’m still hearing that advice.

• geebeew says:

OOOH! Words to live by AND a Sew Bossy dare? I love it! You two would be really interesting partners!

I should ask Lizzy, are we swapping sew bossy dares with the fabric package and all or just a dare to make something? I’m game either way.

2. carlalissa says:

Hi Leila… I am impressed is a Violet!!! Doesn’t look boxy at all. Actually it is quite flattering on you!… I will definitely keep exploring the prints…. excellent taste!

Thanks. I bought a couple of print dresses a couple of summers ago and wore them to death but buying print fabric? It’s harder for me. Thanks for the print support. πŸ™‚

3. Betsy says:

I like you in this print blouse. Try some more, especially pretty in summer. Very pretty on you.

I think medium sized, mid value (in color) prints are quite flattering to most people. Just watch when cutting that blobs of pattern don’t hit funny spots, like at the center of your ‘boobies’! When offset they way you did this pretty blouse, the patterns can minimize.

I like to wear prints myself, I think the right ones they make me look less ‘pudgy’–and I like looking at the pattern while I’m wearing it, I find it restful. Something right brained about letting your eyes travel over a pattern, it’s calming. To me anyway.

Thank you Betsy.

I’m glad the print ended up as offset as it is. I’ll keep in mind the medium sized, mid value print part. Thank you for giving me vocabulary to work with.

4. Jennifer says:

I like it!! I think you picked the perfect fabric to test prints again. It adds visual interest without being over the top (something I’m always concerned about when picking prints).

5. Tempest says:

Prints rock. Prints hide creases better than solids. Prints limit the risk of looking like you’re wearing the same thing as someone else in the room. Prints can hide a multitude of sewing sins (so I’m told). People should wear more prints…..and none of this not mixing prints nonsense. Did I mention prints rock?

I now have a rule that I only buy fabric if it makes me smile….this is how you should buy prints. Don’t be afraid. Life is too short not to stand out from the crowd.

I like the print on you! And it looks so great with the jacket!

To ease yourself into more prints, try to pick ones that the colors blend a bit when you step back. View your fabric draped over a chair or something and back up a few feet. You can also take a photo and zoom out for a similar effect. As long as you aren’t going for the really high-contrast graphic prints, you won’t scare yourself too much.

The blue and green of this blouse actually blends quite well from a distance if you look at the photos again – it becomes the texture you like. Keep trying prints! =)

7. Heather Bee (@KnitNBee) says:

I like this top in the outfit you’ve put together. It looks really nice under a jacket too which is always a plus. I think you don’t need to fear prints anymore. πŸ™‚ P. S. I wants your shoes precious.

8. Gjeometry says:

I think this looks really great on you! Nice whole outfit and I am really a print girl. I find I am bored with myself if everything is solids. Pants can be solid, jackets, but otherwise, I like printed tops and skirts.

AND, even mix and match the prints!!! GASP!!!! Sit down first if you need to, but it comes highly recommended. Make the outfit more interesting, prints and even textures combined. Check this out (be lying down and have a cuppa first…): http://cityofskirts.blogspot.ca/2012/09/how-to-mix-prints-like-pro-ever.html

9. geebeew says:

Well, you know I like prints! I just like getting to wear more than one colour on each garment. I don’t do well with solids! My new goal is to get more adventurous with prints… like a stripe and a floral, etc!

10. kotukucreek says:

Day one at pattern making school.
    i remember being dress white on white, like a blank canvas ready to absorb…..something…

In walked Holly, carrying a big cane basket brimming with bright floral fabrics. She was dressed head to toe in floral fabrics. She wore 5, possibly 6 different florals, all seemingly miss-matched, layer upon layer. An audible hush filled the air as a room full of students clad only in plain coloured fabrics drew breath and watched.

Holly was an artist with a free spirit and a brilliant sense of colour. She never faltered in her dress, she always wore florals.
    That was Holly.
    It was a true reflection of her personality. Happy, playful and oozing with creativity.

Holly taught me to not be afraid of florals and patterns and to wear whatever makes me feel good.

I think your printed blouse looks very nice on you and I especially like the fit you have achieved.

11. Becky says:

I’m the opposite–I love prints and have to force myself to make solids! I think your blouse looks great, it adds some fun to the outfit, and you should definitely sew with more. If you’re nervous, you could always start with more subtle and/or monochromatic ones!