Hummingbird Skirt & Cabarita Top

Some of you already know that I help Steph with shipping Cake Patterns to those of you living in the Northern Hemisphere. It’s about time for another big shipment of patterns and I want to show you the Hummingbird skirt (orange view) and one of the new RiFF patterns from Cake, the Cabarita Top.

Disclosure: I didn’t get paid to sew these garments nor to blog about them. I sew them because I like sewing Steph’s patterns and I blog because I enjoy sharing what I’ve made. I did receive the patterns free of charge so you can take my review with a grain of salt, something you should do with any review.

Let me start talking about the skirt. Much like other Cake patterns, it’s customizable. You start with your measurements and connect the dots to create your unique pattern. The skirt sits just below the natural waist and is a quick make, allowing for a additional detailing. I went for the straight skirt since I knew I’d get more immediate wear out of it. I also went for a stretch denim. I haven’t worked with stretch wovens very much and I should’ve started with a smaller size but I did take in the side seams to fit it a bit better.

The Cabarita top has been one of those tops I’ve seen on Steph’s blog for a while now and I’ve been wanting to make it badly. Again with the customization! It’s genius. It is drafted with zero ease so I opted for my exact measurements. You can always choose negative ease or positive ease. My sleeves are the size that went with my bust size, fyi. I find them roomy- which I prefer. I’m always adding sleeve ease to the non Cake patterns I work with, so thanks Steph. I also went for the longer sleeve option. Love it. Keep in mind the RiFF patterns are still straightforward but the instructions are in text only. Even being a super visual person, I got through the pattern with ease and in only a couple of hours.

hbird and cabarita front arms up

Arms raised I get some pulling but it’s from the 0 ease. As you can see in the rest of the pics, the top is very comfortable. The striped knit is from Michael Levine Fabrics. No pilling so far.

hbird and cabarita full body front

I love how the collar ends up looking in the contrasting knit. It’s a super soft rayon knit that I bought at Vogue Fabrics when I was up there a couple of months ago. I’m going to be washing this top on a gentle cycle to keep the rayon from pilling or otherwise getting too angry with me.

hbird and cabarita full body back

I love an interesting back. Actually this top gives you front and back interest. Even my husband had a big wow moment when he saw the back. The skirt you can hardly notice because it’s an every day skirt and it’s a solid, which you know I like. The stretch denim I also got from ML Fabrics.

hbird and cabarita crouch sitting

I’m showing you sitting down pictures so you can really see the skirt length. It’s easy to lengthen the skirt before you cut but just keep sitting in mind.

hbird and cabarita sitting hbird up close stitching

Hello pockets and topstitching! You’re gonna love the pockets. They come together in such a cool way. I’ve used a quilting cotton I’ve had in my stash for a year or more. It’s a nice cotton but sadly nobody but me will see it.

Hbird and cabarita back

The back, again, cos I can’t stop staring at it. The stripes come together in a chevron and with a little patience you can get them to line up perfectly. The skirt has an invisible zipper which has become by installation preference.

I completely plan on making these two patterns up again. The top came together easily and quickly once I decided on my size, which means you could even jump in without making a muslin- just don’t go for the nicest knit in your stash for the first one. I did and I’m not sorry. I’ve already been wearing this outfit a lot and combining the two pieces with other of my handmades.

If you want to buy these patterns, you can go to Steph’s Cake shop on Etsy (paper and download patterns), on Craftsy (download patterns only) or on PatternReview. These patterns have not been released yet but will be shipping as soon as we get them.

What other ways can you see making the Cabarita top? Mixing prints? Two different colored solids? All print?

33 thoughts on “Hummingbird Skirt & Cabarita Top

1. oanh says:

Both makes look fantastic on you! I’m eagerly awaiting my Cabarita, and I intended to preorder hummingbird but somehow failed to do so. Of course, pavlova is still in its pattern envelope … More time needed! I feel that with Steph’s patterns, I just ‘get’ the construction, I’m rarely reading and re-reading the instructions and scratching my head. I just read the once or twice and can DO!

I hear ya on Steph’s instructions. They make a lot of sense to me, too. That’s always nice. I keep joking that she’s making me a lazy fitter cos she does all the fitting work for me in the drafting. I guess I shouldn’t complain but I also keep bugging her for more patterns. 🙂

As much as I like my pink wool Pavlova skirt I really like my knit skirt with the seashell pocket. Perfect for summer.

2. Susan says:

Love this outfit so much!! Must. Make. Denim. Hummingbird! And I really love the contrasting collar and bands on your Cabarita. I have been thinking about different things to do with the collar… piping or other trim, shaping, etc. So many possibilities with both of these designs! 😀

I had a denim skirt that didn’t quite fit so I’m ready now to donate it to charity. My new denim skirt is getting a lot of wear.

3. carlalissa says:

Ohh Yes Leila…I am desperately waiting for my hummingbird pattern!!! Love what you did and I have also in mind doing the denim skirt!
    You have done an awesome job!
    PS…mail my pattern first (just a joke)

4. Gjeometry says:

These look great on you! I love that top, alot and so happy I do because I ordered one! I am a tad nervous that it doesn’t have pics, I actually did not realize that was the case when I ordered it. I’m quite a visual person and that’s why have not attempted the Burda Magazine patterns yet. But, I really want to make this top and have the stripes line up in the chevron pattern. It looks so cool. I may give the Hummingbird skirt a try, as well. That one has pics, so should be more easy to understand.

you’ll be impressed with how clear Steph’s RiFF instructions are to follow, even without illustrations. I think they totally make sense after working even just one of her main Cake patterns. But, hey, if you need pics, I can take some for you. 🙂

• Gjeometry says:

OMG!!! That would be MOST awesome! I probably should not fret until the actual pattern arrives, but I do know that I broke out into a cold sweat when trying to follow the May Burda magazines instructions for a one star (easiest) top. It’s just harder for me to picture it without, well, pictures. 🙂

Cool. I’m here for ya! If you’ve followed other Cake patterns, you’re totally gonna get the Cabarita order of construction.

• Gjeometry says:

I’ve never ordered a Cake pattern before, only the Seashell pockets. To be honest, the Cabarita is the very first thing I’ve EVER ordered online. (online information exchange paranoia). But, I have heard that Steph’s patterns come with very clear and descriptive instructions, so thinking I may order the Hummingbird skirt next.

5. Tiffany says:

Those patterns are super cute and look very easy to make. How long did those take you? A couple hours each. Sounds like a great weekend project. I think that top would be really cute in two different animal prints or maybe two solid brights. I love the back too. Its is quite unique.

This is a great post.
    Tiffany

Thanks Tiffany. Hey, you’ve got some cute stuff in your etsy shop. The top and the skirt are perfect weekend projects. I don’t remember how long they took but they were definitely easy to make. Two animal prints? cool! And two solid brights? totally!

• Tiffany says:

Thanks for checking me out, and for the compliment. I love the simplicity of your style.

I know that would be such a fun top either way!!! I love playing with color. And clashing prints is great way to bring a little unexpected fun.

6. sewlittletime says:

Oh I can’t wait for my cabarita pattern – yours is lovely! Didn’t order hummingbird as peplums are not my thing but I’m seeing a lot of cute skirts. May just order skirt when it goes on sale

You might really like the skirt. It’s a smart design. I think Steph is selling Hummingbird as separates but don’t quote me on that. The peplum looks doable because of the drape of the knit but I get that not everyone wants to do a peplum. I don’t have that pattern yet so I’m curious to see if I’ll peplum up.

7. chuleenan says:

I really like that Cabarita top! It looks great on you. I’ve had a black-and-white striped knit sitting under my desk at work for a couple months – haven’t taken it home yet b/c I’m running out of space and I can just hear the hubby say “More fabric?” But it would be perfect for this pattern. I’ll have to place an order. ;o)

Thanks! I’ve got some pink stretch twill I want to work up into a Hummingbird skirt. I’m going to look around for a knit that would work with the Cabarita so I can have an outfit out of it.