Sew Bossy: Pink Sunshine Top

So there was this thing. This internet thing that I read about was where two sewing bloggers swapped projects, each of them bossing the other into making a particular pattern with a particular fabric and so forth. Here’s Oona’s project. Here is Heather Lou’s project. Go read about the Sew Bossy Initiative at Closet Case Files.

Heather, Gillian and I swapped projects. Gillian sent a project to Heather; Heather to me; and I to Gillian.

Heather sent me this Hotpatterns pattern: The Sunshine Top! And she sent me tea and this cool card, alongside a love letter with sewing notes. Yay! No, I’m not reading you my love letter.

She also sent me this awesome pink with white dots knit. Double yay!!

Heather’s notes were great. She’s made this top several times and she’s seen the alterations I make so I just followed along making the neck band more like a U so that it wouldn’t gape and choosing my size based on my high bust because apparently these patterns run on the roomier side.

I went for the size corresponding my 38″ high bust and the only other alteration I made was to make the sleeves wider. I ended up making a little tuck at the top of the sleeve cap to deal with the excess fabric. I could’ve been more diligent with my sleeve alteration- maybe next time.

I also didn’t hem the sleeves or the bottom of the blouse. I’m fine with it like this. Heather suggested making sleeve bands and another band for the top hem. Great idea but not this time. Yes, I got lazy. My sewing time isn’t what it used to be.

Why do I get so chatty before showing you pictures. All you want to see is pictures!! I swear I don’t know what got into me. And, yes, these are the good pictures. Bwahahaha! Hey, if I can’t have fun with these I don’t know what I’m gonna do.

pink sunshine top outtake pink sunshine top scary face pink sunshine top side front pink sunshine top three quartersΒ pink sunshine top backΒ Β pink sunshine top goofy facePink Sunshine top front

Look Ma! No muslin! Thanks again to Heather for her notes. She saved me a muslin.

The shorts are blogged here and while the fit back then left a little to be desired, now they’re too loose and the crotch is way low and the fit is funkier than when I first made them. But, they were my first pair of shorts and I was happy just to have made them. You know that feeling, right?

I’m already prepped to do another SewBossy project with Sew Busy Lizzy. I have the pattern I’m sending her but I need to find the right fabric. Ooh, this is gonna be good!

32 thoughts on “Sew Bossy: Pink Sunshine Top

1. missparayim says:

I love this trend- it’s a great thing to push you out of your comfort zone and interact with other sewcialists. Maybe I will try it sometime.
    Your top looks great and super comfy πŸ™‚

I might have pushed Gillian too far into frosting but we’ll see. πŸ™‚ This top is so super comfy. I could wear it for bed it’s that comfortable.

2. Heather Lou says:

YAY! LOVE! This top is so flattering and I’m sure will get a lot of wear over the summer…. You’re reminding me I really have to do a Sew Bossy recap but I’ll wait until Heather & Gillian post.

I think I got the easiest project of the three of us. I sent Gillian some frosting and she always makes daily stuff. Oops. But, hey, thanks for getting the Sew Bossy Initiative started. Very cool.

Well at least you’re not avoiding your wovens. That would be me. We had a falling out and now, again, with the 1st shirtwaist dress. I’m just not loving it.

lol – I think you may have been channeling Heather when you posed for those photos! They are so funny! That top is so cute – I love the fabric and pattern she sent you!

(Oh, and I like the yellow sandals!)

It’s fun! If you wanna do a Sew Bossy swap with me or someone else let me know. It’s a great way to get to know someone else’s style and colors.

You don’t have to be bossy, per se. We just pick a pattern and fabric for each other, send the package and see what happens. πŸ™‚

I’m totally up for it. Yay! ok. It might take me a bit of time to get an idea going for you. I’ll be stalking you. πŸ™‚

• Gjeometry says:

Ditto. I’m working on the Great Gatsby Sewing Challenge and Swimalong, so will get those done before I, uh, boss you around. But, will likewise be stalking you. (no need for the authorities to get involved….:P )

haha! no, no authorities. hehe. I wanted to do Gatsby but lost steam once the Swimalong started. well, okay, good plan. plus, we’ve got time. no rush.

• Gjeometry says:

I know, so many sewalongs, so little time….I have just cut my Gatsby pattern. Check out my tweet (just a few hrs ago), I included pics of the fabrics I am using. I am in love with them. Now, so nervous to sew them up, for fear of wrecking them!! (need to calm down). I also have my pattern and fabric for Swimalong, but have not cut anything yet.

• Gjeometry says:

Fabricland. Not sure if it is in the United States. (p.s., I got the Swimalong button to post to my blog! I often have trouble and need to ‘techie’ it out a different way then just copying and pasting for most of the other buttons I’ve ‘grabbed’ but yours worked, no probs).