Archer Tales, Part Deux


I got the back pleat right this time. hehe


Here are the first and second muslins side by side:


I tried to go with small changes so not to get ahead of myself.

Here are the new alterations:
1. Added 1/4″ to back hip seam allowances tapering it to the waist.
2. Fast Fit big bust alteration. I think I added 1/2″ but honestly I’m new to this way of adding to the bust and I’m not all that sure. I did end up adding to the width of the front but there’s a way to close up the front so you don’t have to if you don’t want or need it.
3. I did pinch out 1/4″ off the front side of the sleeve so it would match the armhole where I had pinched out some in the first muslin.
4. I raised the underarm of both front and back pieces by 1/4″. The front got that because I had done a forward shoulder alt on muslin 5. Then, I just had to match up front and back. I didn’t take any off the back shoulder.

It still pulls across the front a bit but I’m also wearing a foam cup bra that adds to my full bust measurement. I’m guessing with my other bra I won’t get the pulling.

I think I’m ready to cut into my gauze. What do you think? Would any other change be negligible?

Should I do a deeper sway back/flat butt alteration?

15 thoughts on “Archer Tales, Part Deux

  1. Brooke says:

    Looks good! It depends on how much you really feel the need to tweak it, I guess. I’m guessing that you just need to pick a hem length (looks unhemmed in photos) for the lower back adjustment.

    • Leila says:

      Yeah, haven’t hemmed. The bust adjustment added to the length in the second muslin, a length I like better so I’m guessing a narrow hem. Not sure how you mean for the lower back adjustment?

  2. dangerousalice says:

    Looks great! Thanks for posting this. I’ve been a bit intimidated by the Archer because ZOMG full bust adjustments without crazy darts. Or something. (I wound up making this instead.) But there are a lot of things I like about that pattern so maybe I’ll try it with the FBA you linked to in your last post.

    • Leila says:

      Thanks! And hey your buttondown shirt is awesome. I like the bit of wrinkle in the fabric. But I’m also the same person who likes linen and doesn’t mind the wrinkle. I’ve also seen people do the FBA on the Archer and just create a dart. You could do that and it would totally work.

  3. Heather Beckley says:

    I think this second muslin looks great and you can always tweak the fit in subsequent shirts. Of course I’m assuming you’ll become addicted and keep making Archers until all shirting is deleted from your stash. 😉

    • Leila says:

      At this point, I just need to make one and start wearing it so I can see what fitting issues are forgivable and which ones need attention. You won’t believe me when I say I don’t own more than two pieces of shirting and they’re all purchases from within the last 6 months.

  4. CGCouture says:

    I think it’s ready to cut in your good fabric. 🙂 I would be afraid that if you tried to put in a swayback adj. that you’d lose the effect of the design.

  5. Tiffany says:

    I think that the shirt looks good however i do think it would be more flattering if you added some darts and more shape. Something I like to do on my full bust is make the seam allowance a little smaller at the bust area. It seams to diminish the pulling as there is less bulk in the seam with a smaller allowance and therefore allows the fabric to behave better. (although the pulling isn’t too apparent)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s