Instead of Sewing

image

I often get so wrapped up in sewing- the plans, the pattern and fabric shopping- that I forget I like anything else. I signed my family up for a summer of bowling and I took my kids this week.

It was so much fun, as always. This prompted me to think about other things I enjoy that I don’t always make time for, including:

1. Reading comics
2. Knitting
3. Jogging
4. Going salsa dancing

There’s more but I’m trying to be brief. My point is that whenever I have time alone I tend to think that I need to be productive and sew.

In trying to enjoy my other passtimes, I’m starting by making myself aware of the things I like doing to see if knowing has an effect.

It might since I’ve started knitting again. Here’s progress on my Marion sweater:

image

And some comics I’m reading

image

And there will be loads more bowling!

Anything you’ve forgotten you like?

23 thoughts on “Instead of Sewing

Sewing can be like that, can’t it? I see how the intensity of sewing all the time has helped me solidify what I’m learning fit-wise but sometimes it’s just knee jerk reaction. Marion is on her way! Woot!

I promised myself I wouldn’t buy the yarn for my Verona Lace Cardigan until I was finished with Marion. You’re a good influence on me. πŸ™‚

It’s good. I find myself overwhelmed when I buy for too many projects. I’ve got 2 more of that really long body repeat and then I’ll try it on and see if I need more in the front. It’s been enjoyable.

1. sweary sewer says:

i had the realisation a little while ago that everything i used to love had fallen away for sewing. i still exercise which i do enjoy, but i think the reason i still do it, is b/c it is about more than enjoyment for me. (it’s important to me to keep my body healthy.)

my main love used to be reading and writing and a part of me is concerned by how little i do either nowadays. however, come september i’ll be reading and writing for a living, so maybe it’s just a nice rest.

i used to make collages all the time and hill walk often. when i lived in cities, i would spend a lot of time in museums and galleries too, but i can’t do that now b/c i where i live rather than sewing i think.

one thing that does really concern me is that i use sewing as an excuse to not see people. i’m a natural introvert and find large gatherings stressful, but i think i am using sewing to avoid going out at all. i’m not sure that is healthy!!! i’ll probably turn into one of those hoarder people hiding behind a fabric stash of epic proportions, with my excuse being that i need to sew it all up before i can go out. :p

I’m glad you’ll get to do more of what you like. I totally forget what it is I like to do because of my sewing list of dreamy things to make. haha.

2. Clipped Curves says:

It’s so important to spend time with family and doing a variety of things – I hope you continue to enjoy bowling. Me? Well I like to grow my own vegetables which is a joint hobby with my husband and exercise – he likes that too but where I’m more dance and combat, he’d rather be cycling or running a marathon. He’s away this weekend so I have as much sewing time as I need with out feeling guilty!

We just started a very small garden this Spring. Just a couple of things to start us out. The kids are really getting invested in the growth of our veggies. It’s really great.

3. CGCouture says:

I sometimes have to step back too, otherwise I don’t spend enough time with my son, enjoying nature, or even doing housework. So yeah, I totally get what you mean.

I like bowling too! That was my PE credit in college. If the leagues didn’t take over the bowling alley here, we’d probably go all the time. The only other place to bowl is one of those overpriced chain family game places (the kind where they like to suddenly turn off the lights and turn on the blacklights – in the middle of your swing back with no warning! arg). So I haven’t really been in years, but I have my own shoes and glove. I’ve always thought it would be great fun to open an old-fashioned bowling alley – and I would limit the league takeover so regular people had a chance to use a lane.

I go through spurts with my personal sewing. And I suppose I do the same with reading. My husband is pretty good at reminding me to do other things, but yeah, you need balance even in the hobbies. =)

Please tell you you have or plan to wear your petticoat at least once to bowl! You need to do a retro photo shoot for your blog!

I do have a plan for wearing my petticoat while bowling. I bought the Hubbinator bowling shoes for Father’s Day- really just a late bday present- and after he has his for a while I’m getting some for me. πŸ™‚ Pink ones!

5. Jennyrecorder says:

I’ve been sewing seriously for about 18 months and have picked up and played my recorders about 3 times in that period. I used to practise 30 mins a day and my repetoire was large and eclectic…I miss them, my dog misses me playing. I look at them and think they are lovely and wouldn’t it be nice…but I am too busy for more than one serious interest in my life atm. I am truly looking forward to being able to indulge all my hobbies on a regular basis, perhaps when my youngest starts University, it’s only 3 years away!

I’m trying to use a timer so that I at least get in 10-20 minutes of something that’s not sewing. Or making a list and trying to do the other things I enjoy. I hope you get back to your recorder!

6. geebeew says:

It seems like you really got us all thinking! I can’t quite figure out what to do besides sew! I read, I watch tv, I sew… and that’s about it! I’m going to try to add “going to the gym” over the summer, but I”m never going to count that as a hobby! πŸ˜›

I really don’t like the gym at all. I’ve tried but it’s just not me. My dad was a jogger so I think that sorta stuck with me and my sisters. I usually listen to music while I jog which is another thing I really enjoy doing.

7. Ms. McCall says:

I’ve often dipped in and out of other hobbies, sewing is probably one of the most persistant ones ever. I went through a beer-making obsession a while back, and it actually fit in quite well with sewing because you have to leave the stuff alone for an hour at a time.