Hummingbird Top…and it’s a print!

Remember when I was all bent out of shape because my box of fabric was supposed to have arrived on my porch but it wasn’t on my porch? I also found out then that the double gauze I really wanted was sold out so I wasn’t getting yardage I was really hoping to get.

So, I decided to console myself and go fabric shopping. I went in search of fabric for my Hummingbird top since I already had two Hummingbird skirts. I didn’t know what I wanted so I just went browsing. I searched and found something that caught my attention and paired it with a lightweight dot burnout shirting.

Here’s what I did:

• I cut view Blue with the dickie. I just love the fake shirt underneath look.
  • I cut the size 40 with the 3/4 sleeves.
  • I measured shoulder to waist and drew a line curving in that matched my waist measurement.
  • I then measured from my waist to my hip and drew that line to my hip measurement
  • I cut the 40 peplum

graphic hummingbird hands in pocketsgraphic hummingbird back ย hummingbird graphic dickie Hummingbird graphic sitting side front graphic Hummingbird side graphic hummingbird

I really want to make this top with the bow Steph did or something fun like that to hold the fronts together. The sewalong is buzzing. It’s such a fun forum and the 30 minute a day approach is totally doable.

What do you think of my print?! I have more prints on the way. It feels oddly normal to buy prints. Thanks to everyone who has helped me along the path from solids-only to printland. It’s pretty here.

40 thoughts on “Hummingbird Top…and it’s a print!

1. Betsy says:

Hi,

That is really nice on you. I just love it. Like the pattern, and the fit and everything. The print idea is a good one. Looks good on you.

You look quite trim and slim and happy.

2. Red Point Tailor says:

Dorry for these fabrics you lost somewhere on the way …

The fabric you choose is fantastic! I know exactly what you feel about prints – I have exactly the same. I managed to have some prints lately as well…
    You look great in this top with peplum! I am curious your other fabrics.

I forgot to mention that the fabric did show up eventually. It had been delivered to the wrong house.

I’m having fun with prints! I hope you are, too.

• Red Point Tailor says:

That’s great news! So now no excuses ๐Ÿ™‚ just sewing.
        It is difficult with prints and patterns on fabrics but slowly I am getting to used to it. Generally I decided to bring more colours in my wardorbe… I love blue and so far almost everything is blue…. it is high time for other collours which could be wear with blue – of course ๐Ÿ˜‰

yup. Just sewing….but then I saw the new Colette shirtdress pattern and had to buy it…and so I bought fabric for it…but other than that, yes, just sewing now. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Red Point Tailor says:

๐Ÿ˜€ I can imagine. I like this simple dress. I am not going to buy the patterns as I have made similar myself. It is the perfect dress for the summer ๐Ÿ™‚ Success!

The fabric print you used is so great! And I really like how you broke it up a little using the dickie in a textured solid. =)

Also loving your yellow sandals! Isn’t it interesting how yellow is such a “neutral”?

4. Becky says:

Hurrah for prints! You picked a great one– and I’ve been a little unsure about the dickey version, but yours has definitely piqued my interest. (Now if I could just get caught up on this sewalong!!)

5. geebeew says:

Patterns, patterns, patterns! I love the print you chose… and I”m glad to see someone make the dickey version! We haven’t seen many pop up in the sewalong.

I think peeps are afraid of it but it’s really pretty easy. Remember the Pavlova collar thing that we were all scratching our heads about and then we all got it and it was like, duh, yeah, I get it. It’s like that but easier. ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ve owned this kind of top but in a slightly more sweatery knit and I loved having the fake top. I’m new to buying print yardage but I’m getting more comfortable.

6. CGCouture says:

Yay for prints!! I’m terrible at visualizing them, so I probably would have skipped this fabric and then missed out on how awesome it turned out in the final product. I think I’m going to have to give one of these Cake patterns a try–it kind of sounds like I might not even need to mess around with an FBA on them, and that would totally make my day/life. ๐Ÿ˜‰

You’ve hit on what I’ve been afraid of with prints- not being able to visualize them into garments. That’s exactly it! yeah, the Cake patterns are definitely drafted with bewbs in mind. I’m loving Steph’s work.

7. Chuleenan says:

It looks great on you! And I really like the fabric! I’m going to make this top in a solid red knit with a black-and-white striped dickie. And the striped fabric has little red flowered embroidered on it. Nice job on the neckline and peplum.

Just out of curiosity – did you use any stay tape on your hem? I used a fusible bias stay tape on my Green.

I can’t wait to see your red with striped dickie. That sounds so cool!

I actually haven’t hemmed my peplum. How did you like the fusible bias stay tape? That sounds much better than regular stay tape.

• Chuleenan says:

My blue knit rolled a bit so I decided to hem, which I don’t usually do for knits – after all they don’t unravel. But I wanted to see how this fusible bias stay tape worked really well around the curve of the peplum – but it doesn’t stretch. It’s not a knit fusible. I prewashed my fabric so hopefully won’t be a problem!

8. Kat H says:

Yay, I’ve been looking forward to seeing the dickey version of this top! ๐Ÿ™‚ Looks great, I’m gonna have to give it a go – your version has inspired me! ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Chuleenan says:

How much does your top overlap the dickie? I just made mine and in the back, the knit fabric doesn’t quite overlap on one side. The dickie isn’t wide enough in the back. I think it’s b/c the knit fabric I used is tightly woven so it doesn’t have a lot of give. I wasn’t thrilled with my buttonholes anyway so I’ll just make another one but add an inch to the width.