Tags

, , ,

The Swimalong Katie and I did is wrapping up now and while I may still be waiting for lining for one of my other suits I’m making, I can now show off my Closet Case Files Bombshell swimsuit! I’m really excited. You won’t believe me when I tell you that I didn’t alter the pattern at all! I traced the size 12 and made it. I did measure the pattern to make sure I’d be cool but I also appreciate knowing that this pattern comes with negative ease- like a suit should fit- so I knew I’d be okay. I should’ve cut the 10 hip or in between the 10 and the 12 because I got no rumpus. It’s just a fact. But as you’ll see, it’s not too baggy in the butt. So, yay!

Thanks Heather Lou for a great pattern!

I did add what ended up being a strapless underwire bra because while the halter straps were holding me up, I wasn’t up enough and I also wanted some nice shaping. The bra is the only part of the suit that I was really nervous about and it all turned out great thanks to Norma’s bra making book and the tutorial she generously wrote for our swimalong. I might have to replace it in time because I didn’t use swim elastic on it. I also didn’t take into consideration that I was going to need to sew the bra into the side seams and, well, the side seams don’t match up with where I would need the bra side seams to be. That’s why I added the regular bra back. But, hey, it works!

One of the things I think that makes this suit work for my much larger chest is all that ruching. The ruching at the bust helps out, too. If you look at other bombshells with smaller chests, you’ll see that the center bust gathering is between both bewbs. Mine is more at the top of that space. Had I gathered more of the swim fabric my rack would’ve looked much grander. Leaving the bust gathers as marked on the pattern, I believe I’ve minimized my bust- not something I needed to do but I wanted to point it out.

I bought my lemonlicious fabric as well as the lining from The Fabric Fairy. It’s so pretty and difficult to photograph!

I bought my swim elastic and bra making supplies from Sew Sassy. I made my swim cups by tracing a well fitting bra and then making the bra out of poly foam like Norma says in her tutorial, butting up the foam and stitching a short and wide zig zag to stitch them together.

And, now, the story of a lady wearing a swimsuit. Where did she come from? Who is she with? Few knew. Here is what we know about her.

front bombshell

She likes relaxing at the side of the club house.

frisbee bombshell

and playing a little frisbee

bombshell side

she’s not afraid of splashing around in the ocean

bombshell floaty side front

She’s the Sunshine Princess!

bombshell floaty 2

but sometimes that water is cold

bombshell back

and she’ll gladly stick to the frisbee game.

sepia bombshell front

There you have it. Go check out the Bombshell sewalong. Lots of great tips there.

I think the hardest part about making a swimsuit for me is the bust support. If that’s true for you, then add the underwire. I actually may need to stitch the straps to the back of the suit because I really need the strapless I made to have over the shoulder support or I need to swap out the back fabric of the bra for sturdier stuff. Other than that, you’re golden. Oh, and take people’s advice- don’t pre-wash your swim fabric. Otherwise it’ll curl and you’ll hate yourself and I don’t want that for you. ETA: If your swim fabric is thin it will curl when you wash it and Heather Lou reminds us in the comments that you’d be better off pre-washing for bleeding and shrinking potential. I didn’t pre-wash this fabric but I did pre-wash other swim fabric I’m working with for another suit. Some of the pieces are curling like mad while others are fine.

Happy sunshine times!

Advertisements