Grainline: Beach Archer

This is where I’d rather be. Sadly, I’m pretty landlocked. I know that Lake Michigan is north from me about 4 hours but it’s cold most of the time. The picture above is from Cartagena, Colombia. I’m from Cali, a large city in the valley, but I’ve been to Cartagena and it’s awesome.

The few times I’ve made shirts/buttondowns I’ve gone for lightweight fabrics, mostly for the drape. The Archer has no waist or bust shaping so the drape helps me from tentitis- the affliction one with large bewbs encounters when wearing a shirt that isn’t totally fitted. You basically look like a tent. But with a drapey fabric I think it works.

I didn’t know I needed a forward shoulder alteration when I muslined this shirt though now I can clearly see I need it. I do love the shirt despite my lack of fitting knowledge. It’s a great shirt and between the instructions and the sewalong I was in good hands. Go check out the pattern. I promise you you’ll learn a lot and I think this would make a great TNT pattern. I know I’m on the lookout for more fabric for another Archer.

Archer three quarters Archer back Archer front2 Archer sleeve close upArcher spinning  close up buttons Archer

Some of the blurry pics are actually me sorta spinning. Mild spinning. This gauze shirt has been perfect for today’s summer heat. It feels breezy even though it’s warm out and I’m not freezing when I go into air conditioning.

For the next Archer I make I will do a narrow shoulder alteration because the sleeves were too long and the shoulders are a little too far over my shoulder even for a relaxed fit. I think if I juts take in the shoulder I’ll have better fitting sleeves…well, and shoulders.

I got the gauze from Michael Levine fabrics and the buttons from Joann. They’re light blue but pretty see thru which I thought would work with my subtle beach theme.

26 thoughts on “Grainline: Beach Archer

1. Gillian says:

You are from Cali? I interviewed for a school there once… My friend had taught there (and so had her mom!), and they loved it!
    Also: Great shirt!!!! That’s a good colour on you! 🙂

2. sewbusylizzy says:

Beautiful colour! I’ve really got to get your package in the post – I keep changing my mind… and I saw some awesome fabric yesterday. I’m going back this afternoon to get it for you. I think you will love it…

thanks. I think I’m ready for a voile or lawn Archer next. 🙂 oh and I can’t wait for cold weather to make a flannel one. I can’t believe I’m excited for cold weather.

Beautiful color! I like your choice of buttons with the fabric. The sleeve cap not hitting right at your shoulder joint just adds to the casualness of the overall look. It’s a perfect comfy summer top! =)

4. Ms. McCall says:

I totally agree that the drapey fabric couteracts tentitis – your archer looks really great! On other not-so-drapey fabrics, I’ve found that generous fish-eye darts on the back can help a lot too.

5. Tia Dia says:

Love the shirt. I hear you about tentitis, and I’ve found that flowy flimsy drapey fabrics help avoid the look. Chiffon works well for me, but I’ve yet to try a crepe de chine or something along those lines.

6. sewexhausted says:

Great color and I love how it turned out with the gauze. I have 2 almost done Archers I need to finish- one in voile and I LOVE it, and one in challis… Maybe next week I will actually sit down and finish them up. It is a wonderful pattern. ~Laurie