Laughing Moon Silverado Corset and how I wore it out to a see a play!

Back in January/February I made a Victorian ballgown for the Steampunk Masquerade Ball and although I hadn’t finished the corset, I strapped in and wore it to the ball. I was exhausted from health stuff but I went and I had fun meeting and talking to people and dancing. Here’s the costume (tho you can’t see the corset cos it’s underneath the costume)

78hmXDilU2JqK7HVuvjqThVqQfdfYDjBQ8p8Z2LT1Sk

Then, last week I decided I would finish the corset and bind it. I still want to add flossing but I’m taking it easy for now. Here are some pics of the corset in different stages of completion.

LM Silverado corset construction

I used the Laughing Moon Silverado corset (this is the site I get all my corsetmaking materials from) and followed Truly Victorian’s suggestions on how to choose a size. I highly recommend both LM and TV. Incredible patterns. The bodice from the pic above is this Truly Victorian pattern. The bustle I’m wearing under my skirt is TV101– yup, also Truly Victorian. I’m planning on making another bodice for next winter’s ball so I’ll talk about it after I make it.

More pics of the finished corset. The corset was made of a navy blue silk dupioni, underlined with a black coutil. I will never make a corset out of anything but coutil. It’s such a great fabric. I used spiral steel boning which is also my favorite.

LM Silverado corset finished

Once I had my corset bound I felt comfortable wearing it on the outside of my clothes. For this photo shoot I wore the same clothes I wore to the musical I went to last weekend called Zirkus Grimm. The show inspired my wearing a corset and all.

LM corset  frontLM corset sideLM corset back with jacketLM corset back 2

LM corset closeup back

LM corset side frontLM corset forward lunge LM corset front no jacket  LM corset side no jacket LM corset close up final

Why am I straight faced in all these pics? I have no clue! Let’s call it intense? Or BRF? Whatever. It works. haha!

I should also mention that the cropped jacket is from Burda magazine 12-2012. Here’s the line drawing. It’s not on the BurdaStyle site right now, in case you were curious. You can see that I didn’t add the peplum. I had every intention but kept putting it off until I decided to wear it with this outfit. The fabric is poplin with a border of an eyelet. I have more yardage in a deep purple.

What kind of corset should I make next? I could use a new corset for Ren Faire…

One more thing: SHINY PANTS!!

39 thoughts on “Laughing Moon Silverado Corset and how I wore it out to a see a play!

Coutil and steel-boning – the only way to make a good corset! =)

Gosh, you make me wish I could wear a corset without looking so shapeless! You look so great in it! And I absolutely love how you added all the modern pieces with it to make it so everyday wearable!

I tried making a corset for a friend who fits into an S curve corset much better than this kind I made but because I made it to her measurements, she looks as straight up and down as she would without a corset. I offered to add padding but she didn’t want it. Guess you just have to do it if you know it’ll create the shape the person wants.

2. Theresa in Mérida says:

Hubba-hubba, you look fabulous.
    I did RenFaire for years, and had a bodice/corset for my peasant costume , which made me look like a buxon wench and a middle class bust flattening corset to wear under my Sunday best. The goal of the Elizabethan corset is a flat front, it’s very different silhouette than a Victorian corset. I even had some poor misguided soul comment on my lack of natural attributes when I was wearing my middleclass outfit. LOL…that was when I was a 34DD…LOL…
    Anyway, I like the style with the tabs at the bottom to keep your farthingale from shifting.I like these patterns, http://www.margospatterns.com/Products/ElizUndpn.html though when I made mine I had to draft it myself. The heavy wide boning and busks work best on these rather than the spiral bones.

regards,
    Theresa

Thanks for the link Theresa! My Faire costume corset is unboned but made of what I’m guessing is two layers of twill. My whole costume was for a peasant since I worked selling ocarina’s. Now I feel like I could go for any level of society. 🙂

• Theresa in Mérida says:

If you don’t bone your bodice, at least bone along the lacing holes to keep it from buckling.

I read a great article once about cording a bodice instead of boning it. If you cord the already made bodice that would give you some support plus take it in.

Peasant clothes is much more practical and fun, the higher up in status you go the more restrictive the garb!

regards,
        Theresa

3. Chuleenan says:

WOW – that corset looks fantastic on you! You look great in that costume too! I’m so impressed with your corset! Have you thought of making a striped corset? Just a thought….

Thank you! I’ve thought of using like a ticking or something striped to get a chevron look but recently I got this idea to use different colors for the fashion fabric of the corset. It uses so little fabric compared to most things I feel like I could try anything.

4. Sandra says:

I’m always impressed by anyone who takes on the making of a corset – it looks so fiddly and intense! Your corset looks amazing – what a great shape.

I’d say you should be as precise in corsetmaking as you would be with quilting. The difference with corsets is that you get the gap in the back that you can rely on for weight changes and most garments don’t have anything like that. Thanks!

5. Betsy says:

Hi, This is fascinating stuff. You look super in the corset–it looks like it was quite a challenge to me, but you are a gal who makes her own bras and swimsuits! You are a techno whiz! I applaud you perfecting all these advanced sewing and tailoring skills. It’s interesting to learn things about costuming from your other posters. Thanks. B

6. geebeew says:

Oh man, the pic where you are kinda running towards camera is just killer! I love your beautiful corset, and it makes you smoking hot (as always)… but what I love most is the commitment to wearing it causally and going a bit “out there” with your styling! That’s something I’m not confident with yet. Keep the inspiration coming! 🙂

I’m glad you like that pic. I didn’t know what would come of it. I do love being squishy cos that means the corset can easily make mold my body. It’s fun. And yeah, a bit out there. 🙂

Don’t second guess. You’ll be good. My first corset pattern was with a Simplicity pattern. Worked great! Just check finished corset measuremenys and make sure you can have a 2″ gap in the back, or more at the waist if you wanna squish in like I have. 🙂

7. Karen says:

I love this corset! Can you tell me what color and material you used for the lacing? Also, I have never heard of coutil until now.I will have to research it.