Sewing for Fall 2013- The Dress Edition

It’s starting to get chilly here in parts of Indiana. It’s not as sunny all the time and temperatures, on some days, have dropped into “Leila needs a sweater” weather. I’m wanting to sew up some maxi dresses and jackets, comfy pants and other dresses that will keep me warm.

Here’s some inspiration I’m finding- tho I’m not done with my inspirasearch.

This first dress I just love cos of the colorblocking. I’d probably do 3/4 length sleeves or basically a longer sleeve. Funny thing is that if you’re looking at this post on my blog, you’ll notice that this dress looks an awful lot like my TNG skant.

You can see I’m thinking long sleeved Tiramisu, right?

If you didn’t see my tweet yesterday, go look at Cation Designs’ maxi Tiramisu dress. It’s to die for!

This next maxi kinda looks like the one I made that I haven’t blogged about.

I want some plaid in my life! How about a plaid buttondown dress? Yup. It’s got my name written all over it. I saw a picture last weekend at my inlaws house and my Gram was wearing a shirtdress with the plaid on the bias for the top and straight for the skirt. I’m totally doing that as an homage to her. She’s quite the awesome woman. I’m gonna seriously consider installing a zipper instead of doing all the buttonholes. I’m having a huge buttonhole aversion lately. It’s part of my lazy streak.

There are lots of maxi’s on the Nordstrom website that you could make with the Saltspring dress from Sewaholic. I’m definitely jumping on the maxi dress trend.

As far as pants/trousers, I’m gonna be looking in my pattern stash before setting out to buy another design. I’ve got a couple that I’m eager to try. I do have my Burda pants that I liked so I could make those again but y’know, better.

I need pants and cardigan pattern suggestions. And I’ll probably get another blog post on coats. I swear this year will be my coat year…not like the last two years that were supposed to be my coat year but then weren’t.

25 thoughts on “Sewing for Fall 2013- The Dress Edition

that should be a cutie. I do have both a pattern and plaid fabric for that. I need a day when i can fit all the things. Mah bewbs are so different now.

I’m making a color-blocked dress right now (but I’m not really allowed to talk about it yet…shh!) that keeps making me think of your TNG skant! Star Trek was all about the color blocking and it will forever look like Trek to me whenever I see it (especially in primary colors with black).

I really like the last dress pictured! I might need one. =)

2. Michelle says:

I’m having a hard enough time trying to get caught-up with all the things I intended to sew for summer. I haven’t even started thinking fall… although, I can relate to you on the weather/temperature front. It’s been chilly and weird in Chicago all summer.

Yeah, we were just in Chicagoland last weekend and it was cool…not humid. It isn’t Chicago if we don’t get to complain about the humidity.

3. CGCouture says:

Oh man, I LOVE that plaid dress!! Can’t wait to see your version of it! And TBH, I haven’t even come close to thinking about Fall sewing yet, though I’ve definitely been seriously thinking about “monsoon fashion”. 😉

Over Spring, I realized that I have a lot of summer handmades but not a lot of transitional weather clothes. I think it’s my eagerness to fill that gap.

4. EmSewCrazy says:

Ooh I’m liking the color blocking and that plaid dress as well. Some good ideas here. I’m interested in seeing what you come up with for cardigan patterns. I need some good suggestions too.

5. Clipped Curves says:

Yes. Maxi dress snap… I’ve got one cut out and ready to sew. The first dress is a little space age and I can see your attraction to it. Could work but (and please don’t take this the wrong way it is meant entirely friendly) has potential to make your best assets bigger by illusion – two tone toile/muslin first.
    Ooo checks/plaid yes, yes, yes. I have a wardrobe crush on Shannon’s (Shanni Loves blog) check peony dress.
    Cardi pattern? Cake pavlova? It’s on my autumn list.

Good point about the assets. Thanks for bringing that up! Two tone muslin it is. Pavlova as a cardi is a great idea! I’ve actually been using my navy Pavlova top as a lightweight cardi. Ooh, it would look cute in a thin sweater knit. Great idea!

6. Gjeometry says:

Oh, I have to say I’m sad about this summer, it has been so cold and grey, not a summerific time at all! But, I suppose we have to discuss fall clothes at some point. I do like that colour blocked one, perhaps a tad longer (for me, anyway) and the long sleeve wrap knit dress is fantastic. I love wrap knit dresses. Must go over to cation’s page and see her maxi now. 🙂

I know. I hear ya. Summer here got a little hot but it didn’t seem that long. And you usually get a lot of heat and humidity here so I’m a bit bummed.

7. Chuleenan says:

I like that color blocking too! I don’t usually like plaid but that dress is very pretty. I still have some summer stuff I want to sew! Sept. is often hot here so I should just finish that stuff.