My Voice

Lady Katza has revived the Blog Voices vlog meme and I’m all to eager to hear everyone’s accents and ways of saying different words.

Here’s the list of words and some questions I answered to give you a sense of where I’m from:

List of Words:
Aunt, Route, Wash, Oil, Theater, Iron, Salmon, Caramel, Fire, Water, Sure, Data, Ruin, Crayon, Toilet, New Orleans, Pecan, Both, Again, Probably, Spitting image, Alabama, Lawyer, Coupon, Mayonnaise, Syrup, Pajamas, Caught

List of Questions:

What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?
What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball?
What is the bubbly carbonated drink called?
What do you call gym shoes?
What do you say to address a group of people?
What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs?
What do you call your grandparents?
What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?
What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?
What is the thing you change the TV channel with?

Some of you know I was born and raised in Colombia, South America. I went to an international schools and learned English from my American, British and Canadian teachers as well as from my American mother, who grew up in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Her mother was from the south but did everything in her power to hide her accent so my mom is mostly unaccented.

My dad grew up in Colombia and as I mention in the video had a Bostonian accent for a while though I don’t think he kept it. Or at least it doesn’t sound that strong to me. He has a bit of an accent but nothing you can’t understand.

I had an accent when we moved to the U.S. in 1992. I’d say “the” as “da” and other more stereotypical things like my vowels were spoken in Spanish even with words in English. Now I only get an accent when I’m super tired or really sick.

Most of my time in the U.S. has been spent in California but I’ve also lived in Oregon, Chicago, Vermont and now Indiana. I was in Australia for 4-5 months (Brisbane) and I picked up things like “bin” and learned to love Vegemite and Anzacs so I guess I’m adaptable. ๐Ÿ™‚ But basically, I don’t feel like I have an identifiable accent. Wouldn’t you agree?

Go listen to other sewcialists voices

LadyKatza

SewExhausted

Bird and Bicycle

Another Little Crafty Creation

The Seed of 3

Katiediddlehopper

Vintage Ink Fairy

Tea and Rainbows

Tumbleweeds in the wind

Sew Dixie Lou

Theresa from The DIY Page

Annette Tiretteย in Dutch!

Sew Smitten

Physics Girl

Handmade by Heather B

Helen from Sew Stylish

Another Sewing Scientist

Crafting A Rainbow

54 thoughts on “My Voice

1. sewexhausted says:

As I said yesterday you have a great voice… loved hearing the kiddies in the background! I am very curious about some of the words people use differently. (I had never heard anyone refer to a cart as a buggy!) But Lady Katza says pill bug and you say rolly poly like me. Very interesting!~Laurie

2. katiedmd says:

Myra and I watched it together and she kept saying, “Mom, she’s so cute! Can she come play with us?” #yesplease!!

I don’t think you have an identifiable accent either, but you do have a lovely voice. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. ladykatza says:

I love it! You have a great voice! And I loved hearing the kids in the background. ๐Ÿ™‚ You have what I call the “newscaster accent” which is pretty much american english with minor regional bits thrown in.

4. ShanniLoves says:

Oh I love this! So great to see you in action hear your voice! I’m from Indiana and yes we call it pop. I always think its so weird to hear it called anything else. lol

5. Melizza says:

If my hair was combed I’d totally do this right now. This survey made the rounds in the expat blogs but for some reason I enjoy seeing it on the sewing blogs. Guess I feel more connected to sewing bloggers.

I’d love to hear your voice. I’ve never really connected with a ton of Colombians in the U.S. My older sister has, tho. I really like the sewing peeps.

So far you are the closest to my pronunciations/answers! (Yay, roly-poly and “car-mel”!) And I’ve always thought I was pretty accent neutral. If I can figure out a way to post a video (besides a 15 sec Instagram), I will join the fun even though I HATE myself on camera and hate hearing my voice recorded.

Yeah, I have a bunch of theories on why I don’t have an accent. Mostly I think it’s from growing up around a lot of bilingual families. I also don’t mean to but end up eavesdroping when people assume I only speak English.

7. Cuckoo Chanel says:

I LOVE this, Leila. You really don’t have a discernable accent, and I’m an accent NERD so it would have jumped out at me. Thanks for sharing this. It was really interesting. I have a mix of southern Ohio twang and 15 years worth of New Jersey, plus some British slang from an ex (I picked up “bin” too ๐Ÿ™‚ ), so this sounds really fun to do. Can’t wait to see how all of the bloggers sound.

8. Elena Knits says:

Nice idea! I loved hearing your voice. My mother tongue is Spanish and I learned English much later. I watch TV shows from USA and I have colleagues in Atlanta, so I guess I could have a little bit of American accent, but no way I’m getting rid of my Spanish accent completely (even though I have much less than the average Spanish person). My boyfriend is Belgian and we speak at home a mix of Spanish and English. His accent is much closer to the American than mine and once he was though American by an… American!

I honestly wish my accent hadn’t left me. It would make my constant culture shock easier for my husband’s family to understand. ๐Ÿ™‚ If you can, put up a video. I’d love to hear your voice.

Do it, Clare! You can totally record on your Mac. Or use your new camera and then either way upload to youtube and embed the link on your blog! I want to hear you.

9. Theresa in Mรฉrida says:

I loved this! I wanna do this too. I have to figure out how first. You speak standard English. When I read the word caramel i pronounce it cara-mel, but when I say carm- el corn for cracker jack popcorn.. I still have a nasal sound in my voice from having lived in NYC when very young. SInce I got teased so much as a kid i am a bit of a mimic, I tend to sound like who ever I am talking to. I used to say that I either mispronounce things with a Cuban accent or a New York one. I also sound totally different when I speak Spanish, my daughter says I sound nicer LOL.

regards,
    Theresa

ps:I say pill bug but I’ve said roly poly before. I think they are also called sow bugs but they certainly are NOT called potato bugs! Potato bugs are the penultimate ugly alien critters only exceeded in grossness by the pacific banana slug.

10. Gjeometry says:

Oh, what a terrific idea!!! How great to hear everybody’s voice and see them. Love your video and voice, Leila, and nice to hear your kids too! I missed the bandwagon on this one, I was away on holiday + a job interview and got the flu just before going away. It really was quite a week. And, I just realized, my desktop does not have a webcam, only the lap-top did and, sadly, it’s been ‘resting’ the last few months (broke down).

Sorry to hear about your laptop. Does your camera have a video option? Heather just posted hers this afternoon and Gillian isn’t posting till later in the week so if you’re up for it, I’d love to hear your voice. You didn’t miss the boat at all. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Gjeometry says:

Oh, ok! Just watched Heather’s now. So, maybe I’m not too late. Yes, I have an actual video camera that I’ve never used!! So, can try that. From what I was reading, posting an actual video to your site takes up alot of space, so I’d have to figure out how to upload the video to youtube, then link it.

11. Sylvie says:

I love this!! I’m always very curious about what people sound like (or if on the phone, what they look like) so I think this is very cool!! I thought you would have an accent but you really don’t to me. I was born in Washington DC so I’m not blessed with a fun accent, but I never picked up a Midwest accent either.

• Sylvie says:

By the way, my biological father was Columbian. He wasn’t raised there though, and I didn’t really know him, but I’ve definitely got Columbian genes!