Grape Marion, or Yay I have a new sweater I love!

Marion front 2

I still can’t find my tripod so any photos depend on the Hubbinator to play photographer. We’re getting into a better swing of taking pictures and it definitely helps when he likes what I’m wearing.

Marion front sitting

This is Andi Satterlund’s Marion cardi pattern. Buy her pattern on Ravelry and read her blog post when she released Marion, shortly after graduating college!

Marion side

I got inspired by SewBusyLizzy posting pictures of her in progress Marion on Twitter. You can see her gorgeous Marion with one of her awesome Cambie dresses. I’ll wear my Marion with a dress at some point. It’s a perfect combination.

DSCN6536

I always have issues with baggy backs so I cast on for the Medium size at the back neck edge and the Large for the front. I think it worked. The beauty of knitting is that it’s like sewing with knits. It’s pretty forgiving. I just kept knitting, keeping in mind that I’d have to look at both sizes for the beginning. I didn’t plan it out at the start besides thinking, I should really cast on a smaller size at the back.

Marion1

I’m in love with the sleeves. You start knitting the sleeve cap in short rows and then do a fast decrease in the underarm giving you a very close fit around the armscye which I prefer. As you can see, I got a nice close fit in the shoulders and high bust while still having room for the rest of me. 🙂

the lookE

I’m definitely going to knit more of Andi’s patterns. Any knitters reading this?

Here’s my Ravelry project page for Marion in case you’re on there.

39 thoughts on “Grape Marion, or Yay I have a new sweater I love!

1. EmSewCrazy says:

This is such a pretty sweater and that color is great on you. It’s cooling off here so I might have to haul out the knitting needles soon. I’ve been looking for a sweater similar to this style to wear with my summer dresses to stretch them into fall.

2. Tia Dia says:

You knit too?!?!?!?! I missed that somewhere. Love this! I cannot knit two stitches of anything to save my life, so I am really impressed. The colour is amazing. BTW, has anyone told you that you have the most wonderful smile? 🙂

3. Rosy says:

Es precioso ese cardigan!! Me encanta el color que has elegido y se ajusta perfectamente a tu cuerpo, yo también tengo problemas con mi espalda ancha, lo hiciste genial. Voy a curiosear en los links que has puesto. Soy una tejedora muuuuuuuy lenta, a veces cojo las agujas de tejer con pasión y estoy un par de días tejiendo sin parar y de repente necesito cambiar y las dejo aparcadas durante meses… soy puro desastre. Te admiro! Un beso.

Gracias! Te cuento que soy igual con el tejido. Unos meses es lo único que hago y otros ni se me antoja. Este cardi es bueno porque usás agujas y lana mediana o sea que no se demora un montón en hacer.

Such a pretty sweater! You did a great job with the fit modifications!

I wish I could find fabrics in the bright colors you can easily find yarn in – almost makes me want to learn to knit. Almost.

5. Melizza says:

What a beauty. You picked a very pretty color and it’s super flattering on you. I can’t imagine trying to fit a knitting project. Hurts my brain to think about it.

6. Christina says:

Your marion turned out great! I’m in the process of knitting one myself. I also have the same problem with backs of tops being too big…and fronts being too small (38 H). I didn’t do the same back adjustment as you but I chose a size with some negative ease. I hope it’ll be fine. I’m almost down to the armholes (knitting left front side).

7. Cari Homemaker says:

It’s absolutely beautiful. I find myself loving Andi Satterlund’s designs, but then not being able to get around to making them up. Then I see sweaters turn out like yours and I wonder what other project could have possibly distracted me.

8. Rachel Rogers says:

Such a cute cardigan, and a fab colour! I learned to knit this summer for the express purpose of making cardigans just like that to wear with dresses. I should probably make a few basic things like scarves first, though. 🙂

Thanks! Well, when you’re ready, this is a great pattern. Are you on Ravelry yet? It’s cool cos you can see notes from other people who have knit something which saves you a lot of headache.