The Sewcialists do it again with Red October

We were chatting the other night on Twitter about wanting to sew something in red. How awesome is red! LadyKatza calls red a neutral and we all agreed that we needed something in red. And LadyK came up with the hashtag. I love that woman!

Here are some details:

• Make a garment in red fabric. If you want to only use red accents, go for it. Get some red going!
  • Post your finished garment in October (or sooner, everyone has the right to get excited) to your blog and add some photos to the Sewcialists Flickr page so we can see all the makes together. Don’t forget to link to your blog so we can read about your project.
  • Tell your friends to join in making a red garment in October. Why? I know I like playing sewing with my best buds. Everyone’s welcome!
  • One last thing, use the tag #RedOctober on twitter and Flickr and such so we can find each other’s stuff.

Will you join in #RedOctober? Will you make something for daywear or evening? What season? Would you make a red jacket? or is a dress your thing? Get your Pinterest board going. Is there anything I’m forgetting? Anything that would help us stay in contact (besides Twitter and blogs) during #RedOctober?

I’m thinking of finally making a Cambie or an Anna. Or both! Of course, I would be remiss if I didn’t want a red Tiramisu but with a maxi skirt.

75 thoughts on “The Sewcialists do it again with Red October

1. Kat says:

Totally in…I love red and don’t have enough of it, so these little things are a great motivator. Mine will be a summer garment for sure with the hot weather coming up in Australia! Eyeing some silk crepe de chine…. 🙂

2. Katie says:

I’m so in!! Red ponte jacket and if I can manage it in time, red camelhair coat. I’ve been longing for both since last winter and I already have all the stuff!

3. Lix H. says:

Red is great. I love red. I look fantastic in red. I actually have like two yards of solid red cotton and a yard of red… something (gabardine? It was inexpensive) I bought to make a mockup of a skirt I’d be making with my printed fabric and I’ve used none of it yet. October seems like a good, loose deadline for it. Will definitely participate.

4. Becky says:

Red’s not a color that I wear very often, and I’m actually trying to figure out a good color to overdye the one piece of red that I have in the stash, lol. But I was planning on using some leftover cherry print in the waistband of my black denim Pantsapalooza trousers–does that count? 🙂

5. ThreadTime says:

Perfect timing! I’m planning to participate in the Little French Jacket SAL and making a (gorgeous!) red Chanel jacket. (First post http://threadtime.wordpress.com/2013/09/17/little-french-jacket-sew-along/ and photo on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/monaput/9719075499/ ) I’ll have to start adding #RedOctober to these. 😀

I’m actually looking for fitting tips, so hopefully I will have some fitting experts visit and leave some ideas.

I also have a vintage coat pattern planned in red wool felt. Let’s see how ambitious I get!

Ramona
    Louisiana, USA

6. Vicki Kate says:

I have a plan! I’m going to make Pauline Alice’s Cami dress (again) but have a black bodice with red topstitching and buttons and use a fabulous red fabric Sew Busy Lizzy kindly gave me for the skirt. I has an enormous print on it and I really didn’t want to cut it up. This has been a perfect inspirational spark and I’m really looking forward to making it!!

7. Chuleenan of C Sews says:

Perfect! I was thinking of doing a Hummingbird hack in red – making a tee (no peplum). I also have a yard of red cotton polka dot fabric waiting to be added to something. Have you considered starting a wiki page so multiple people could post about their #RedOctober projects? Just a thought…

Love your ideas. Red polka dot! Swoon. I like your idea of a wiki page. If you have more specific ideas about it could you email me? My first name at threedresses dot org. I’ll look into it. I like where this could go.

Well, stink. I already did a Red Dandelion Skant – about a month early. And I’m sewing red, red, and MORE red at work right now. I don’t think I’m going to want to sew anything red for a while.

But I’ll have fun seeing everyone else’s red makes! =)

9. Knitmo says:

How perfect, I have a plan to make a red corduroy pencil skirt as part of my fall wardrobe plan. I guess that will be my next project after completing my yellow.

• laurahoj says:

I ordered it from Gorgeous Fabrics and she is going out of town tomorrow. Not sure if it will get processed and shipped before she is gone. If not, it won’t ship for a week. 😦 I’ll post a picture as soon as it arrives.

• laurahoj says:

It states in the listing that this jersey is from that most coveted designer of wrap style dresses. So I’m pretty sure it will be so gorgeous. I’ve been to the DVF store here in Vegas and the dresses are so pretty and the fabric is to die for. I really love the ITY I’ve bought from Ann’s store. It is so much nicer than the other ITYs I’ve bought. I’ve yet to be disappointed (the Chanel boucle I got is glorious!!!) I have a real fabric buying problem. Except, I don’t really see it as a problem.

10. Theresa Diaz Gray says:

I am going to a Halloween party and need a costume. My friends and I are going as a lounge of iguanas (isn’t that great? a group of iguanas is called a lounge). I saw some great reptile print fabric in red. I guana be a princess,is the name of my costume.
    Can I play?
    regards,
    Theresa

11. anothersewingscientist says:

I can’t decide. I have two great red pieces that I want to use soon: one is an ombre pink-to-red gauze that would make a wonderful long dress (Sewaholic Saltspring?); the other is a large scaled Venda print from South Africa that is LOUD LOUD LOUD and would demand a dramatic garment. Hmmmmmm….first have to finish fixing my Husqvarna.

12. aem2 says:

I’m in. I have a tonne of my burgundy/wine/garnet/definitely in the red family material I used for my bathing suit left over; I was thinking of turning part of it into a skirt for lindy hopping. Plus I have some gauzy mystery fabric I was planning to turn into another Sorbetto hack.