Grainline Studio Hemlock (yeah it’s a free pattern)

I was chatting with my buds Heather and Gillian and we were talking about all wanting to try the new Hemlock pattern but weren’t sure how it would look on us with bewbs. Gillian dared us to make the Hemlock. And what do you do when Gillian dares you to something? You do it…or at least I do.

I went to The French Seam and bough two awesome knits. The one I used for my hemlock is a Betsy Johnson super light weight knit. It’s either a tissue or a burnout. I don’t know but I can see through the fabric. It isn’t noticeable while wearing.

I’m loving my Hemlock. It’s one size and the only alteration I made was to the neckline. I scooped the neck down a bit because I don’t care much for high necklines. Plus, I was thinking it would look better on me having a larger chest.

Hemlock sitting

I love the stairs in our new place!

Hemlock 2

It’s so relaxing.

Hemlock hug

…and apparently I love this wall!

Hemlock neckline     Hemlock front Hemlock front neck Hemlock backHemlock 3

I have my Grainline Moss skirt traced and ready to muslin but first I need to finish my Steampunk costume for our day out at Faire. I think a moss would look cute with a Hemlock. Juxtaposing the unfitted top with a mini skirt. Yes, please! Add some leggings and you might call that my daily wardrobe wish list.

Have you made the Hemlock? If you normally wear fitted tops and dresses, do you ever mix it up and add in any loose fitting clothes? I definitely like mixing things up and after this Hemlock, I don’t think I’ll be afraid of a boxy top, as long as it’s paired with slim fitting jeans or something that contrasts the blousy quality of it. What do you think? How would you mix up a boxy tee?

43 thoughts on “Grainline Studio Hemlock (yeah it’s a free pattern)

Thank you. Oh yeah, I think a leather skirt would be so awesome! I have some faux leather I might make into a Grainline Moss but I have to muslin the skirt first.

Thanks. I’m thinking the way to go for me is boxy/loose fitting and see thru. 🙂 I kinda did the same thing for my Colette Violet, using a polyester chiffon. didn’t come across as boxy.

1. nettie says:

I love that print!!!

I think I do a bit of mixing up in my wardrobe. There are definitely days, like today, where the last thing I feel comfy in is a figure (and gut) hugging top. But, I’m following the hard and fast rule of pairing my huge, boxy tunic with slim pants.

2. Lix H. says:

I never say no to a free pattern.

I mostly wear fitted tops and dresses and jeans and basically if I own it, chances are it’s tight. I like to REALLY feel my clothes. But I do like loose blousy type tops and I have a couple of them I wear rather often, generally with tight jeans and heels. How’s that for unoriginal? 😉

I’m really glad I scooped the neck. Might make a curved neck band for the next one but the straight band works just fine. And thanks. I do have fun with the pictures.

3. Rosy says:

I totally understand the reason that you are in love with Paris! As funny. Actually, I am a woman with wide waist and baggy tops are not the best for my figure, but this top looks so funny on you!! Maybe I should give it a try …