Starting a 2014 Wish List

Costume building is very expensive and sometimes buying all the materials and taking the time to figure out how to make something (not including buying a pattern) is even more expensive than just buying the item you want.

• For instance, hoops for an early Victorian thing. I might as well buy them. Even if I don’t make my ball gown this year with a big hoop, I know I want a hoop dress one day.
  • A pretty lace parasol is something I’d rather buy than try to make. I probably can re-cover a parasol with lace but I don’t think I will.

I’ve got plans to go to the The Labyrinth of Jareth Masquerade Ball this summer- and I’m hoping everything works out so I can go- so I have to start putting together an idea for my costume. I haven’t done a lot of fantasy stuff so I’m excited to get going. And look what I found!

• A unicorn head piece! Yeah, again, I might be able to figure this out but it’s unlikely. Give me fabric and I’ll make something but this is not my forte. I have no idea what kind of costume I’d make to wear with this but it’s so fun!

Of course, there’s also the Steampunk Weekend that includes hands-on workshops and a catered ball that I’m going to and I need a mask but I don’t think I’ll try making it. I might try to coax a friend to make it for me.

One day, I’d love to buy a pair of American Duchess shoes! Oh yes. That’ll be the day! I only ever hear good things about these shoes.

Of course, I want more and more fabric and lace and trims for all these costumes I’ve got planned.

What does your sewing wish list have on it?

19 thoughts on “Starting a 2014 Wish List

1. aem2 says:

Oh, I want all the American Duchess shoes. I just got my 1930s oxfords. They are so pretty. And comfy! And they came with a lollipop! I’m now saving up for pair of 23 Skidoos for dancing.

I’m really looking forward to your costume pictures.

My current wishlist (as you know) involves a certain printed silk that I can’t get, but that I may be able to reproduce. Which is sort of scaring me.

I first heard about American Duchess shoes on this summer when I started working on that Christmas display that was postponed until next Christmas. We got in a bunch of beautiful shoes that we had hand-dyed to match fabric colors. They were all so amazingly period looking but brand new! I want a pair someday too!

My sewing list is so loooong! I’m trying to prioritize it so that I have new things to wear during the appropriate weather because I always want to wear what I make right after it’s finished.

Your list of things to buy is a smart list. Some things just can’t be made more efficiently or for less money than you can buy them already made.

I bet your list is humongous! I think this is my short list, come to think of it. But yeah, shoes and hoops. I mean, I made my bustle but that was easy- I don’t remember the cost of the materials…

3. EmSewCrazy says:

Ooh I’m trying to get over the fact that there’s a ball for The Labyrinth! I really like that movie… not sure why but I do. Probably the sheer weirdness and the fact that you can almost touch all those clever costumes and unusual scenery.

Oh I know what you mean. I got so excited to hear that this ball even existed! I only found out about it last year. It’s weird but with puppets! 🙂

You’ve been to Labyrinth Ball? How cool! I’ve heard of the Edwardian Ball. I’m going to a Steampunk ball in February. Not quite the same scale as the Edwardian or Labyrinth but still lots of fun!

4. Katie says:

I’m very excited about the labyrinth ball, I can’t wait to start my costume for it

And truly victorian has a great pattern for early victorian hoops 🙂

See ya soon
    Katie

5. Chuleenan says:

OMG – I want a pair of American Duchess 1920s shoes! Wow.
    For my sewing wish list, I’d say a serger is on that list but first I need a new sewing machine. Figuring out a better way to store/organize my fabric. Exploring vintage sewing machine feet and of course, more fabric!
    I love seeing your costumes! Good luck with your creations, which I’m sure will be spectacular!