Quick Update from the recovery room, aka my bed

Last week, I got really sick and landed in the ER. It was all too scary for my taste but luckily after a liter and a half of fluids and some amazing pain meds, I was well enough to go back home. I went to see my holistic doctor and she is patching me up with tinctures that work really well. My body doesn’t do well with over the counter and antibiotics- very sensitive system- so I’m happy to have found this doc.

I’ve been posting to IG and Twitter and I realize I haven’t really mentioned a couple of things. So, this is really just a round up of sorts from across social media. I am supposed to be recovering so full photos of finished garments won’t happen here for a bit longer.

I got back home after my time in California and a quick trip to Chicago to make myself a Sewaholic Renfrew. I still haven’t made a regular t-shirt…but I think I’m realizing that I just don’t enjoy those kind of makes. It’s all personal, right?

I got the fabric on the body of the Renfrew from the Halloween section of JoAnn’s this year and the shiny black stretch fabric from The Fabric Outlet when I was visiting with an awesome group of sewcialists in San Francisco. Check out Cali Fabrics (their online store). Sorry, I don’t remember what it was called.

I’ve also been working on my Steampunk Weekend wardrobe- especially my accessories. A purse for the ball.

And, of course, I needed a new bodice for all the Victorian skirts I’ve made. I love this Truly Victorian pattern. This is the 4th time I’m made it up and every time it looks different because of the details I’ve changed. I guess you could say this is a TNT!

I worked on some costumes for the Penny Dreadful, which will be ongoing during the Steampunk Weekend. The local Steampunk group has taken some really great promo photos. I’ll hopefully get to share some of those here soon.

After my week in bed (after the ER trip) I was ready to sew and on one day I cut a new Gunmetal. Then, the next day I made it. This was fabric Amity gave me as a Sew Bossy project, and I have new shoes so I’m definitely taking lots of pictures- so fun! I bought some really nice buttons from The French Seam (along with some Italian wool!). I’m excited to get those on. This is my third time making up the Gunmetal pattern and only the first time doing the buttons view.

And, lastly, my Lekala blouse. I’ve been so curious to try these patterns. I bought three pieces of fabric to make blouses. This black one, a pink one and a burgundy one. This one still needs buttons but it’s starting to snow and it’s only gonna come down harder so the buttonband will have to wait.

Wow. I had’t noticed how much I’ve made this year already and it’s only the middle of January. Plus, there was a week where I couldn’t lift a finger, let alone a needle. It’s true what they say about perspective. Wait- there is a quote about perspective, right?

Do you ever think you aren’t as productive as you really are? Do you have any tips/tricks to remind yourself of your accomplishments? How do you handle health set-backs when you really just want to sew?

14 thoughts on “Quick Update from the recovery room, aka my bed

1. Gjeometry says:

I’m so sorry to hear you’ve not been well! I hope you are healthy again. Your gunmetal is SO rockin’, I really like it! And that Lekala blouse is beautiful! I’m liking the idea of getting a custom fit pattern.

Thanks Catja. I’m finding that an afternoon nap has become a needed part of my recovery. 🙂 thanks. I do love that Gunmetal and you should try the Lekala patterns but be warned the instructions are just a list of construction order. No helpful drawings.

2. EmSewCrazy says:

That’s an impressive list! When I’m sick I read everyone else’s sewing blogs, I scan pinterest for new projects and I make lists of what I’m going to make when I’m able to crawl out of bed.
    When all else fails I get lost in a korean drama or anime.

Wow, you’ve been productive! I am really loving your Lekala blouse and the fabrics you are using. Take care of yourself and hope you are completely back to normal soon!

I’m having a slow start on the personal sewing this year. Of course, it doesn’t help that I started rearranging/reorganizing my sewing room right before I got a call for a paying costuming job. I always seem to get work just when I get motivated at home.

I often don’t realize how productive I have been (even at work) until I start looking through photos or see a pile of finished things. I think it’s because I’m so focused on the details as I sew that it’s hard to see the full picture. I know that blogging and Instagram have helped me see how much I actually do make though.

Thanks. I’m excited to photograph my new blouse. I gotta think about how to style it. I feel like this year will be about details. Accessories and such.

I did notice that you got a job just as you were doing all your sewing room work. Mixed blessing, I’m sure.

I think looking back at blog posts and IG is why I felt the urge to blog today. I had to get something up..and then I realized how much I had actually done. For me, at least, it’s productive.

4. Vicki Kate says:

I’m glad your on the mend! I love the blouse and am in awe of your costuming skills! I know my productivity happens in fits and starts, it can take forever to get the time to do something simple like hem a dress and then I get a period of time where I can complete a number of garments in short order!