Does your To Do List gently remind or nag? A blah blah blah post.

I have been thinking of my love for To Do lists. I use Evernote on both my phone and laptop to keep track of the sewing projects I’d like to make. I sometimes sneak in knitting onto the list, too, but for the most part, it’s just sewing. It ranges from gifts to multi-piece costumes to sewcialist group sewing.

I tend to buy fabric for the things on my list and again, for the most part, I keep to my list. I can get really distracted from the list sometimes, buying a piece of fabric that has to come live with me but when I remind myself of my to do list I tend to stay on task. The thing I like about my lists is that I will go through them during times when I can’t sew and re-evaluate my interest in the projects. Sometimes what seems like an exciting project will, upon reflection, get deleted from the list.

The thing I really need lists for are gifts I intend to make. I don’t do a ton of selfless sewing/knitting/crafting so when I have an idea for someone, it has to be on a list so I have a constant reminder of my lofty intentions.

I just finished a Jayne hat for my cousin that was promised to her last summer…but, I’m proud to say that it stayed at the top of the gift-to-do list and didn’t land at the bottom even though I have a couple of other gifts that I recently added that are going to be more interesting than that hat. But, I mean, what am I talking about- the Jayne hat is done! And checked off the list!

I know I’ve asked this before, but how do you keep track of your sewcial sewing, your gift sewing and your own sewing? Do you find yourself prioritizing based on anything? Would you make something for someone who will appreciate it more first just cos they’ll appreciate it more? I’ve been caught in that web.

Have a great week! I need to get back to my to do list!

22 thoughts on “Does your To Do List gently remind or nag? A blah blah blah post.

1. Meris says:

I also use Evernote to keep track of project ideas, blog posts I want to write, and fabric or costume inspirations. I usually prioritize by the schedule of conventions. 🙂

But when it comes to making projects for others, as I mentioned in my new years post, I tend to push my projects to the side and focus on the gift…to the detriment of my own project to-do list.

My to-do list can seem like a nagging list, IF I have already purchased the fabric for a project. Otherwise, it is more of a “wish list”.

I have costuming friends who talk about their to do list as a wish list…so it ends up being confusing to me cos if it makes the list, it’s gonna get done. 🙂

Having cons is great for me cos it gives me a deadline. And I work better with deadlines.

I don’t know why but I don’t have a wish list. I’ll wish or “one day” a project in my head but if it hits the list, it’s all over. haha Let me know if dividing your list helps.

I don’t do very well with lists (except at work). They are definite nags for me. I probably only use lists around Christmas time for gift ideas, but the majority of those are purchases and not handmade.

When it comes to my sewing, I suppose a deadline/event will be the motivation to finish something. I definitely enjoy sewing for others more when I know they will appreciate it, and I probably spend more time on those things I know will be loved most.

I don’t think I really knew you didn’t do lists for your own sewing. Interesting. 🙂 And I think you and I are the same with deadline. We just get it done.

• Brooke says:

I suppose my lists are more mental – if I keep thinking about a project, I will do it! So as long as I’m inspired, I’m good about producing results. =)

3. Vicki Kate says:

Evernote is my saviour! I have a catalogue of all my patterns and fabrics. What I haven’t got is any project lists… I love the idea of a priority, wish and gift list. It might actually stop me getting overwhelmed by the possibilities!

Oh wow! I think that’s a great idea to catalogue patterns and fabric. I remember reading on twitter of a bunch of sewcialists talking about that. I’m impressed. Having fabric in Evernote would be so helpful when I’m out. Do you add photos, too?

Yeah, the possibilities can cripple me!

• Vicki Kate says:

I haven’t, but I will! Probably just use my phone to take them and I’ll do the same for the patterns as whilst I can remember what the ones with names look like the Big 4 numbers mean nothing!

4. EmSewCrazy says:

Yes I make lists! The old fashioned way with a pen, paper and clipboard which hangs over my sewing table. I have one page FULL of Sewing for ME and another page partially filled with Sewing for Others.
    Barring inspiration, whatever birthday is coming up next gets sewn first. Otherwise gifts for others usually take a backseat to me…
    I have so much fabric laying around that overwhelms me so the list makes it easier to focus. The only thing that nags are the things on the list that have been there for a year…

I love clipboards!! I think I like my fabric bins. That way I can cover the fabric up though I also have some fabric on shelves. Those are the ones that sometimes nag me.

5. aem2 says:

I have to-do lists for everything. I use an ancient program on my Palm Zire which lets me tick things off electronically, and use colour-coded pens on white boards. Organizing it all is fun.

All I have to do is do.

Anyway, I haven’t properly made sewing plans yet. I really should.

6. Ravenna says:

I tend to stick to one project at a time, mainly because that is all I have time for, but I’ve usually got the next one or two being worked out creatively in my brain. Evernote is fabulous, but I use it for boring things like returning phone calls and errands I would otherwise forget to do 🙂 I’m full of lists, but sewing is just a part of those list items.

7. LSV says:

I love lists! And I use OneNote to organize everything – once something is complete, I give myself a clapping hand icon or thumbs up ;-). I try and sew something for me, my husband, and my daughter in order – works fairly well and I love that righteous “can you do the dishes while I sew the pockets in these pants for you?” moment! It does help that he is so enthusiastic about his items!

I haven’t tried OneNote. And I like your system for sewing. That is nice that your husband likes getting handmades from you. I don’t have that, sadly. My enthusiastic one is my little boy. He wears the stuff I make him all the time so, of course, it’s more fun to make for him.

8. Lix Hewett (@LixHewett) says:

I really liked reading this post. I use Evernote for a lot of things but I don’t really keep to-do lists there consistently. I actually haven’t really found a consistent to-do list system since I ditched the one I’d been using for years in January 2013. I’ve had a couple of notebooks holding running to-do lists since then but I’ve found myself not really checking them, relying on memory and, occasionally, on shorter to-do lists in Evernote.

I actually bought another notebook last week with the intention of using it for to-do lists, but with different – more complicated – formatting than just lists. I even got squared paper instead of my usual lined! But I haven’t broken it in yet.

As for prioritizing what I do, that really comes into play for me with my photography and design and blogging and I find it’s a total crapshoot. Sometimes I’ll be motivated by working with a new person I haven’t disappointed yet, but sometimes I won’t. What I know is that the best MO for getting things done is starting on them the MOMENT they become a thing I have to do, but that’s easier said than done, sigh.