Blue Wool Spearmint: A Prelude

Prelude: My Spearmint

This was not the way I wanted to introduce my wool Spearmint. I remember talking to someone on twitter (I think it was MaLora) about things that happen behind the scenes in our sewing rooms and not showing them – so here I am to talk about a mishap with my coat.

The other day I was juggling too many things in my hands and ended up spilling half a commuter cup of coffee on my coat! I figured, since I had pre-washed my wool I’d be fine throwing it in a gentle wash.

The wool is fine, though it did felt a tiny bit but not too much- the lining still fits the coat. But then I went to re-press the collar and hem and saw this huge gap in my lining!

Gah! Sarah from OhhhLulu suggested I fray check the raw edges, hand stitch it, and most important: forget it ever happened! So, now that’s made the to-do list.

It’s not the end of the world but it was definitely a shocker.

How do you cope with your handmade garments blowing up?

9 thoughts on “Blue Wool Spearmint: A Prelude

1. ThreadTime says:

Thanks for sharing! I’ve wondered about washing wool after making a garment. I’ve seen comments from people who work with sheep/wool that indicate washing wool is fine. The trick is no agitation and no change in temperature. Good to know your wool was relatively fine.

It’s a pity about your lining. 😦 Good luck with that. I know you will figure a way to fix that.
    Ramona

2. Emma Jayne says:

Oh no. Hope the repair works out. My reaction is either a repair, like this, to salvage a much loved item or fabric shopping to replace it with a better fabric/fit alteration. (*or both?!).

3. Betsy says:

You’ll whip that closed in a jiff, but it must have shocked you plenty like a gaping wound.

Just nice that linings have lots of give built in…That sure is a pretty lining! I notice you use pretty linings a lot.

That is one very cool thing home sewers can do– line our clothes with great surprise fabrics that bring secret pleasures. I remember the first time I ever did that when learning to sew–I was so persnickety that everything had to match so closely…and I put this splashy print inside a tailored coat/dress.

Thinking back , I bet it was my mother’s idea…she was very arty, and not so rigid as I was –I was such a sewing nerd perfectionist them.

I’ll bet anything she saw that floral silk stuff and liked it and said , “why not try this?” fully expecting I’d pooh-pooh her. I don’t really remember, but I do remember the Nina Ricci pattern with something like 54 pieces of lining and interlining and self binding and underarm gussets. I was in high school and, boy oh boy, that was that an ambitious project. The lining was the charm. It is what I remember most.

4. sewlittletime says:

i would either repair it or else leave it in a chair in the naughty corner to think about what it has done – possible indefinitely! normally depends how much i love the finished garment and how much of a paint it will be to fix! if it’s at the end of a season it probably has no chance as i’ll have no urgency in fixing it and i’ll have forgotten about it by the time weather comes around to wear it again.

Well, stink! Linings tend to do that when you machine wash (that’s why so many things are labelled “dry clean only” even if they aren’t unwashable fabric). If I suspect something like that might happen, I usually serge the lining pieces or sew a straight stitchline “stop” within the seam allowance. Or I topstitch everything like I did with my denim Spearmint (the denim frays like mad in the wash and the coat seam allowances are so tiny!).

If you haven’t already mended your lining, You can reinforce with some lightweight fusible interfacing on the inside (wrong side of the lining) – stitching through the interfacing patch will help add some strength to the seam. (Think about all the interfacing they add along the seam lines inside men’s suits!) Plus, I’m sure you have some scraps of the lining fabric you can use if you need to add a bit. =)

And when in doubt, wash on the gentlest machine cycle you have. Can’t wait to see the coat when you’re ready to show it!

6. IngeMaakt says:

Oh no 😦 I would however, after the first shock and horror, find the quickest and easiest way to fix it and be happy that this happend to the lining and to the main fabric

7. autumnyarn says:

Oh no! I am glad this was an easily resolvable problem. I just dealt with a minor disaster involving a seam ripper and a button hole. That particular button hole is now notably larger than its companions…
    But when sewing disasters strike, I examine the problem very carefully and then walk away. For me, projects end more happily when I am calmer.