Making plans, WIPs and self-control

I just bought some knit yardage, cut my Ziggi and have a surprise for you later this week! Yup, I’ve got a … giveaway for you! Have I mentioned how bad I am at keeping secrets? Well, consider yourself told. I’m horrible at it. I should interject that I *can* keep secrets but not when they’re fun, full of whimsy kind of secrets.

Like the new patterns Amity is working on…omg. I’m having THE hardest time keeping that stuff in!! They’re so cute and cool and snazzy and all the things! But, you know… confidentiality.

So, while I help her behind the scenes, I’m gonna be sewing other things up to share. More knit tops! You have to love something you can make on a serger and be done with in a couple of hours. The Ziggi- yeah, that’s gonna be a while but I want to wear it this Spring so I better get a move on it. I’m still in muslin stage. Just have to stitch that bad boy up and see what fitting things I have to tackle.

I also have my first Cambie muslined and ready to cut the real thing. Oooh, and I have this desire to make a couple of the By Hand London dresses. But I’m not letting myself buy any new patterns until I finish some of my WIPs.

How do you stay on task? I know I’ve talked about making lists and keeping to them but Spring fever is getting me all creative-like and I feel the strongest urge to make ALL THE THINGS! Well, not all. But you get the idea. So, how do you stay focused on your WIPs?

17 thoughts on “Making plans, WIPs and self-control

How do I stay on task? Seriously, when you figure out the answer let me know! I seem to do best if I have an event/deadline for when I need to wear something. Squirrels are distracting!

2. gmariesews says:

I truly am a monogamous stitcher – at least with sewing. Knitting is a completely different beast. With sewing I find if I set something aside – that’s the kiss of death and if it’s not working or I don’t like it – it will suck all the mojo out of my studio and I’m left buying fabric and dreaming.

New Lolita’s sound fun! Can’t wait to see what you girls are cooking up.
    g

It totally IS the kiss of death. I couldn’t agree more. I used to knit a whole lot more than I do these days but I had as many WIPs as I do now with sewing.

3. ksgentry says:

Deadlines set by others kinda keep me on tract. The only problem is I am a procrastinator and will always wait til the last minutes, causing sleepless nights and frantic days.

4. Sylvie says:

I just started a “sewing queue” folder on Pinterest, but generally I won’t buy fabric, pattern, and thread until I’m actually ready to make my project. So my system is find pattern, find perfect fabric, then make. 🙂

5. Michelle says:

I have a really hard time staying focused. Recently, I’ve convinced myself that I’m actually more productive wen I allow myself the opportunity to work on whatever it is I want to work on in that moment. It’s probably not actually true. But. I’m pretty productive at the moment.

I find I get into moods. Like one week, I’ll do a bunch of muslins then another week I’ll cut the fashion fabric and so on. But I’m probably delusional and just go all willy nilly. 🙂

6. Laurie says:

I have a list… with check boxes… But that doesn’t mean I always follow it. :/ As a matter of fact I usually stray and then some things end up being booted from the next list! Sighhhh… I wish I was better. Looking forward to seeing your Ziggi!

7. Kat says:

I find that my blog does a pretty good job of keeping me on task! Especially in those “I’m not excited about this anymore…ooooo…new pattern!” moments 😛

8. Becky says:

I’ll admit that I’m pretty much a one project at a time girl when it comes to sewing. Unless I’m at a point where all I have left is hand-stitching. Then I will totally jump on another project where I can use the machine. Knitting, now, that is another story.

9. Maris Olsen (@sewmaris) says:

I can’t even begin to imagine what “one project at a time” might be like. That’s crazy talk, lady! 😉 Be sure to check out the Ziggi Sew-Along StacySews and I hosted last month if you have any questions or construction problems. Good luck – you will LOVE your Ziggi!

10. Jo (@jo_sews) says:

I’m totally a one-project-at-a-time person. I just can’t abandon them! Although if I find I’m getting so bogged down in something I really can’t get past it, I’m ruthless and it gets chucked in the recycle bin immediately. I can’t concentrate if I’ve got more than one thing on the go, but the concentration and focus sewing gives me is one of the main reasons I do it, so I suppose that’s why. I mix up different kinds of projects so as not to get into a rut, alternating more involved things with kids’ clothes or easy knit stuff, and that more or less manages to keep my attention span under control.

Looking forward to seeing your next projects, secret and not!