Yummy Sushi Cambie, a nod to Buffy the Vampire Slayer

I got this sushi quilting cotton over a year ago, knowing I was going to one day make a Cambie. Life took over and I only recently started making Cambies. One day I swear I’m making some bodice alterations but it’s good for now. (I’d lower the bust apex, shorten the front and back by a skant 1/4-1/2″ and possible take in the darts in the front.) Till then, let me show you my second Cambie- a nod to my favorite T.V. show, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. (Here’s my first Cambie in case you missed it.)

If you know the show, you know what I’m about to quote:

It’s from Season 4, Ep 14. Not my absolutely favorite episode or season, being very Riley centered but with Buffy, there’s always something good in (most) all episodes. So, when I saw the sushi quilting cotton, I knew I wanted to make a yummy sushi dress, even if the print was different from the pjs on the show.

I had to use a black pleather for the bodice- another Buffy nod, since they put her in leather pants and jackets more and more as the show progresses.

I hemmed the skirt 4.5″ and I like the length a lot. The bodice and skirt are lined but unlike my first Cambie, this one doesn’t have a lined (only interfaced) waistband. The bodice lining is a rayon blend, very slinky, while the skirt lining is a stiffer Siri sew-in shirting interfacing. I thought I was getting a lighter weight interfacing but this turned out perfect for the look I was going for with this skirt. I was already using a quilting cotton, which is by nature less drapey. Emma One Sock has more of it, if you want some. I like how stiff it is right now, making for more of a poofy petticoat-like lining.

Yummy Sushi Cambie front side viewYummy Sushi Cambie skirt sweepYummy Sushi Cambie tilt topYummy Sushi Cambie backYummy Sushi Cambie tilt skirt  Yummy sushi cambie close up front  Yummy Sushi Cambie lining and tattoo    Yummy Sushi Cambie zipperYummy Sushi Buffy Cambie floor

I’ve asked before, but I’ll ask again…any Buffy fans reading this? For those of you who are already Buffy fans, enjoy some BtVS on me tonight.

A shout to Montana of Montana Designs who urged me to take pictures when I didn’t think I had the energy to do it! Thanks, lovely.

47 thoughts on “Yummy Sushi Cambie, a nod to Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Thanks! And I agree. I wanna keep playing with this dress. It would look really cool and different if the skirt were a mesh with a cool pop of color in the lining and a solid/maybe a different color bodice or if the bodice had mesh sleeves.

1. Heather Lou says:

YESSS! I just rewatched the entire series (for like, I dunno the 5th or 6th time) and I squealed when I saw this. Well done babe!

Thanks! Yeah, as soon as you said something I remembered your style and this is so you! My first cambie had a solid eggplant purple bodice with the print on the skirt. I don’t know if i’ll ever make a Cambie with just one print.

The show was done in the 90s, and it’s really cool to follow fashion over the whole span of the show. The leather stuff really did pick up as the show progressed but the vampires wore leather quite a bit.

2. annekecaramin says:

I completely missed Buffy the first time around even though it was really popular with my peers (no tv in our house!) But I bingewatched the first two (or three?) seasons a while ago and loved it. The only reason I stopped was the ‘omg too much tv to choose from’-syndrome… Your Cambie is awesome! I saw some pleather with a fish scale effect at a fabric market recently and you make me regret not buying some!

Funny thing…I never watched it when it aired because I didn’t have a t.v. in college. But boy could I have really related to that show when I was that young. Even now, it’s such a great show. and thank you. I wanna work with pleather again. Lined, tho. When I was trying the dress on without the bodice lining, I thought I was going to die of heat. The lining helped a lot.

3. Emmie says:

Massive BtVS fan here! I know what you mean about that season. I do prefer it to 5 though. It has a lot of silliness I enjoy! I like the dress homage, and think I’m gonna stick some Buffy on later 🙂 x

4. T says:

Love the dress. Also a major Buffy fan and have a similar dislike for Riley (far too weak and pretty looking for the Buffster). Might have to dig out the whole box set as this has made me really nostalgic for the show.

5. staciethinks says:

I love it. It’s Buffy on the bottom and kind of vampire Willow on the top. Nice homage to my favorite show of all time too. Whenever my room mate from college calls and asks what I’m doing it’s usually “fill in the blank and watching Buffy.” Her reply is “Still?”

6. Renée says:

Love Buffy. I think I’ve gone through it about 3 times now. Great reference.
    I never would have thought of using pleather for the bodice but it looks great and gives the dress a completely different look. I’ll have to revisit my Cambie pattern as I’ve only used it to make a sweet floral dress.

7. Theresa Diaz Gray says:

Both Husband and I are big Buffy fans. My oldest daughter is too. My favorite episode is the musical, “Once More with Feeling”. It’s such a good show on so many levels.

I got the yummy sushi reference right away.

regards,
    Theresa

8. Helena says:

Leila, your Cambie is awesome! The pleather looks great an takes the dress to a new level. Plus you look so happy in your pictures, they’re making me smile.

Thank you! I’m pretty excited about this one. I keep wondering what other fabrics would work to change up the look of this pattern. Gotta think.

9. bimbleandpimble says:

Best Buffy reference make ever!
    Rad work, rockstar! And you know my thoughts and feelings on the Whedonverse!

10. subversivereader says:

I wondered if it was a Buffy reference when I saw it on Twitter 🙂 Now I have the sudden need for lots of Buffy inspired clothing . . .

The dress is brilliant – I don’t know why I hadn’t thought of using different fabrics for the bodice and skirt on a Cambie. I think I’ll need to experiment as well

What’s funny is that I love that show to death but this is the first Buffy inspired dress I’ve made. And yeah, this dress has totally made me want to try different fabrics as well.

11. anothersewingscientist says:

Every time I see a sushi print fabric I think of that episode. And I’ve also started rewatching while sewing because of you! I remember my friend sending me a batch of video tapes in 1999, telling me I had to start watching it. I didn’t have cable TV, but after binging on the first season like that, I signed up. Then about 12 years ago, I was in Vietnam and bought the whole collection on pirated CDs. Now yay to Netflix for another go around!

Yeah, I love the pleather-cotton combo. I think it takes it from cutesy to kick-ass.

I never thought about the cutesy aspect of this dress but yeah it totally is- I love it that way but now that I’ve made it with pleather I’m kinda wondering how else to change it up.

12. Goldengelchen says:

Wow, this is really, really great! I have never seen a version wirh different fabrics for bodice and skirt before, but this is very cool and totally fits your style!
    Many greetings from Germany 🙂
    Goldengelchen

13. Nakia says:

You’ve inspired me to boot up Netflix and start some late night Buffy-binging while I sew. I really, truly, madly, deeply love Buffy the Vampire Slayer! (Season 2 with bad Angel, woot-woot!) And I love your Cambie! I’ve been see-sawing back and forth between buying it because its an adorable dress pattern and I wasn’t sure that I want adorable, you know? But sushi print and leather? So bad ass that I’m going to buy the pattern now.