Trying out a new silhouette: The Trapeze Dress

Over the last couple of weeks, I’ve been thinking about the trapeze dress. Maybe it’s because we have a client that’s coming in wanting to have one made- I dunno. But I got into thinking, with this whole #sewphotohop thing and the silhouette post, that maybe I’m leaving out looks that I could enjoy.

So, tonight I took the StudioCherie babydoll top that I’ve made a couple of times (3 to be exact) and added length and width to the front and the back to create a waterfall dress- mullet hem, really.

It’s a totally different look than the one I usually sport. What do you think? And before my pictures you’ll see what I was inspired by…

Screenshot_2015-08-09-15-52-17Screenshot_2015-08-09-15-52-23unnamed

DSCN7537 DSCN7534DSCN7539

DSCN7541   trapeze dress back

My apologies for the goofie pictures inside the house but I HAD to take pictutes.

What do you think? I said on IG that I feel like it’s half mumu half awesome. I’ll wear it next week and see how I feel.

Eric’s comments:

1. It looks comfortable. (mumu comment)
  2. It would look better as a cape. (agreed)
  3. The print is cool. Are there owls on it?

How do you feel about changing your silhouette?

14 thoughts on “Trying out a new silhouette: The Trapeze Dress

1. Jo says:

Trying a new silhouette is hard, it’s so difficult to know if you feel uncomfortable because it’s new or if you just don’t like it. But I think this looks great on you! My theory with trapeze dresses is that they look great in real life, in movement – but it’s difficult to capture them looking good when you’re standing still in front of a camera or a mirror. I made one that I do feel a bit ambivalent about, but I get loads of compliments on it!

Yeah, photographing things we make is so tricky. I do feel the same ambivalence as I did last night. It’s just so flowy and I do mostly fitted. We’ll see.

2. Andie W. says:

I love this on you! I’ve recently started dreaming of a trapeze dress. I even bought the fabric and have a whole outfit concept with a boyfriend blazer on top. 🙂 Just need to get started. 🙂

3. fabrickated says:

I have tried wearing a looser shift shape (I have a curvy figure). It looks OK, but I almost always reach for a belt. The thing is different silhouettes work with different body shapes so there is always a best one (which we may get bored with).

4. Sew Exhausted says:

I think it looks fun and bright and I would want to spin and dance around in one if I wore it! And mixing it up with a new silhouette keeps people on their toes and keeps YOU from being put into a box. Good for you for trying something new!

5. Betsy says:

I like it and love the print and color on you. Perfect summer pleaser. I love the neckline, front and back.

I would like one myself in black with an even hem and a little less flounce in the back. be a great LBD. I would want a little cap sleeve, too. Hum…..Keep up the good work. Really it is wonderful with your coloring .

You would look amazing in this dress. You know I’d make you one. Just say the word. I did add more flounce in the back since I have so little in the derriere department. 🙂

6. prttynpnk says:

I think it’s hard to find a skimming shape and still keep the flowy feel- this is cute on you- I’d love to see a more dramatic back to give it a frisky wow on you!

7. Tammy says:

I’m new to your blog and I love this colour on you. I’m wondering if you could tell me what pattern you made or stitched up for the indigo sweetheart neckline blouse and skirt on the left hand side of your header on your blog banner? It looks amazing on you. Thanks.