Liner Notes to 2015, aka The Naval Gazing Post

Sewing for other people has been a huge time suck! Ha! I mean, I love it for so many reasons. The first, being that I don’t really need that many clothes and when I’m productive, I’m productive. Secondly, it’s actually nice to see people light up when something fits! Finally. I think those of us who sew our wardrobe understand that feeling.

At the dress shop, we don’t take photos of works in progress. As a sewcialist, I don’t understand that! We also don’t share what we’re working on. Another thing I don’t get. I do understand that we’re protecting the privacy of our clients…blah blah blah. I’m kidding. That’s why my Instagram has all the close-ups. Basically, if it’s a close-up, I’m at the dress shop.

Gratitude

I can’t tell you guys how lucky I feel to have found this job at the dress shop to begin with! This year has been a big one for me. I dropped a bunch of dead weight that was keeping me from opening up and growing, dead feelings that didn’t belong to me anymore and a job waiting tables that became quite soul sucking. I wanted to freelance. I wanted to sew full time, even if that took time away from sewing for myself. It was a trade off I was willing to entertain.

Just before the summer began, I quit the restaurant and dedicated myself to upping my personal clientele. I told everyone I met what I was trying to do and got to work. I organized myself and now, I can say I’m beyond grateful to the people that come to me for their sewing needs. Yeah, grateful doesn’t cut it. It feels bigger than that.

What’s Important

This coming year, I’m making sure that the people in my life are ones that understand my need to sew, my drive to work and my hours as a freelancer.

Remember when I was first single and I put three tennis balls into a pitcher and said they were the most important things?

They were:

Health

Kids

Finances

These things are still important. But now, I have the mental and emotional energy to add more. I’m carving out time to go back to dance (post-modern, if you’re curious), as well as reaching out to social media again, which as you know, brings me a lot joy. I miss chatting with my sewcialists friends! I miss Fabric Chat! I miss that energy that you all brought into my life. That brings me to my word of the year, something Brooke opened my eyes to.

Word of the Year: Collaboration

It’s one of my favorite things to do. Once you start working with other people, your ideas take on a life of their own. They also stop being “yours” and have the potential to grow to greater heights than you thought possible on your own. Here’s a cool infographic. Working with people does breathe life into a project in a way solo work doesn’t for me.

Collaboration

How and Who will I be collaborating with?

Oh, don’t you wanna know! Actually, some of the details I don’t know yet but that’s the word that came to me a couple of weeks ago and it feels perfect. It all boils down to the fact that I know some amazingly talented people in town and I have no idea what we’ll do together but we’re talking.

Some of you have already seen the new logo I had designed for the custom clothing I make for people. I’m getting labels printed in 2016. By the way, if you have any label makers (Etsy or other) you have used and/or trust, link me! I’m very thrilled with my logo. Now, do I switch over my blog name? Do I start a new site when the time comes? Those are questions that might not get addressed in the coming year and I’m happy with that.

LM_Breton-04

Since I haven’t blogged all that much, I’ll leave you with my best of Instagram. IG has been my saving grace for keeping my mojo going. That said, with this new found energy, I’ll be posting more to my blog (famous last words).

Have a great New Years! Be bold! Take a chance! Make mistakes! And above all, be kind. That’ll get you far. Very far. Besos!

threedresses IG best of 2015

16 thoughts on “Liner Notes to 2015, aka The Naval Gazing Post

1. gilliancrafts says:

Teeheehee – I love that one of your Top 9 IG pics is a tribute to Heather! ❤ I so admire the passion and commitment you've shown this year, and how hard to you to make life great for you and your kids. Hope you have a fabulous 2016!

I completely understand the working with other people inspiration and motivation! I find that is one of the reasons I have difficulty working by myself from home for long periods of time. Solitary work sewing can be a little depressing after a while. Film and theatre hours might be crazy (and have long commutes) but my energy and productivity levels are ridiculously high when I’m working with others!

I’m so glad to see you making more appearances on social media! I end up with more closeup IG pics when I’m at work too, but no one seems to mind. =)

Here’s to a great 2016 and hopefully a chance for us to work together (or at least get together) at some point in the year!

You’re a huge inspiration to me, Brooke! And you’re on my list of people I want to collaborate with! 2015 found me unsure but this coming year will be different. Don’t know how I know. Guess I have a feeling. 🙂

• Brooke says:

aww thanks! The feeling is mutual. =)

btw, forgot to tell you I get my labels from namemaker.com – I have both printed and woven kinds, and sometimes use their printed ribbon as well.

Oh, and if you feel the need to change your blog name just change this one – don’t start over. This blog has so much of you & how much you’ve grown and just plain interesting stuff, it would be a shame to lose it. It’s who you are and why you do what you do, and that’s something that will always attract the right friends and clients in the future.

4. jdiettrich says:

I use ananemone on Etsy for my labels – the nice thing about them is that they offer a trial run of labels for about $10 so you can see them without committing to a butt load. And they are nice and soft which is what I like in clothing labels.

Thank you Jess. I’ll check them out! That’s exactly what I wanted…someone who’d send me a sample. Once I commit, I’ll want to buy a bunch of them. Happy New Year!!

Meris, that’s very nice of you to say! I can’t wait to get back into blog reading as well! I have missed reading about everyone’s process. Happy New Year!!

5. Becky says:

I’m glad you were able to find work that brings you joy. Waiting tables is a job I’ve never had, but I can see how it would drain you! I’m excited to see what you do with your word for this year.

6. Heather Beckley says:

You’ve made so many changes this year and worked really hard on your sewing business goals. I’m super proud of you and know you’ll continue to see progress in 2016. You’re an awesome lady!

7. laurajane says:

Impressive site! Thanks for the inspiration… I’ve considered sewing for others but always hesitate because of self doubts about fit. It’s hard enough to fit ME, and I should know me by now!